Early-Vertical-Forearm

Former Member
Former Member
How many use the early vertical forearm method? How many believe it is less prone to shoulder injuries? I tried it for the first time today and it wore my butt out! I did feel like I had more surface area to pull with and the force felt more horizontally directed toward my feet. I have a lot of work to do if I continue to adopt this stroke method.:bolt: www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    George, I hope you don't mind me using the phrase "dropping it into position"; it’s another way of saying "setting-up" your stroke. I was watching our high school girl's swim team and found that every single swimmer moved either their elbow first or moved their hand toward the midline before dropping their hand into position. The common misconception is that there is an alternate method of dropping your hand into position in the freestyle or any other stroke for that matter. Some swimmers contend that swimming with a straight arm precludes an EVF and nothing could be more false. Alain Bernard has an EVF with a straighter arm but as long as the hand isn't late he obtains the leverage to sprint (and very well). If swimmers can improve how they drop their hand into position (under the elbow) their times will drop. Thanks George.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    George, I hope you don't mind me using the phrase "dropping it into position"; it’s another way of saying "setting-up" your stroke. I was watching our high school girl's swim team and found that every single swimmer moved either their elbow first or moved their hand toward the midline before dropping their hand into position. The common misconception is that there is an alternate method of dropping your hand into position in the freestyle or any other stroke for that matter. Some swimmers contend that swimming with a straight arm precludes an EVF and nothing could be more false. Alain Bernard has an EVF with a straighter arm but as long as the hand isn't late he obtains the leverage to sprint (and very well). If swimmers can improve how they drop their hand into position (under the elbow) their times will drop. Thanks George.
Children
No Data