Swimming Stereotypes

Former Member
Former Member
Equipment Rep Trains with every piece of equipment available at all times. The Luddite Trains with nothing. Only uses a loin cloth and goggles in workout. The Barnacle Leaves right on your feet. Couldn't count to five or ten if his life depnded on it. The Coach Not an actual coach, but someone who is consumed with technique. Swimming is a precise set of moves that can be broken down, categorized, and scientifically analyzed. The Jaded Could care less about technique. Just wants to swim and leave the analysis to the eggheads. The Swimaholic Trains at least 10 swimming workouts a week. Anything less is viewed as not trying. Fast Guy who Never Trains Shows up once a month and breaks national records in practice. Hardest Working Man in the Swim Business Trains like a ferocious animal in workout, but has no speed when it comes to racing. Lane Guy Works out in a lane that is far too fast or slow for him. The Crack Guy Dude, pull your swimsuit up or get a bigger size. The Newbie Shows up to practice in board shorts and a scuba mask. _________________ As for myself, I would fall into the categories of Luddite and Jaded. Also, I wrote this from a male perspective, but the women are included as well. Any other stereotypes?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    :afraid:Oh Lord I love this thread..Just read the whole thing, laughing my head off. Its sooooo true. I just hate fin guy and love barbie. I definitely oogle the ladies! Creepy old guys rule!:applaud::applaud:
  • Former Member
    POLAR BEAR Mid 30's, overweight, pushing 270+. Hasn't seen the sun since college. Wears appropriate reinforced board short type attire. Busts out the first half of a 200 Fr under 58 secs at the end of a set..Everyone is waiting in line to get behind this guy so they can experience the undertow when he comes off the wall. I've seen shorter lines at six flags. Knows just enough about SDK to swap anyone who happens to come up on the other side swimming fly when he breaks the surface. Anyone under 130 lbs comes to Jesus when he taps on their feet. You should see the wave action in the adjoining lanes when you put two of these types in the same lane workn on the same set. :afraid:
  • I very nearly ran over a Speed Bump in tonight's swim. :) I did run over Speed Bump in this afternoon's swim! :afraid:I'm out in California for my niece's wedding, so I have been swimming at the Belmont Olympic Pool, in Long Beach. I missed adult lap swimming, this morning, so I was swimming in one of the designated lap lanes during the recreational swim session. During my race pace set, some little kid decided to become my speed bump. I was doing a race pace 50 breaststroke, and just as I lunged for the wall and started my swim, this kid decides right at that moment to try to cut through my lane over to the next one. I didn't see him while I was throwing my head back, but my elbow felt something as I was in my "elbow the robber" (elbow the Speed Bump???) phase of the turn. I pushed off the wall and... :bump:!!! Sorry, kid, but you chose a really bad time to make your move. :bighug:
  • Sorry, kid, but you chose a really bad time to make your move. :bighug: LOVE IT!! (Hope you're ok!) :blush:
  • LOVE IT!! (Hope you're ok!) :blush: I was a bit startled, but not as much as he was! :D
  • Former Member
    Road Kill = What becomes of Speed Bump
  • 2811 Got a name for this guy? I don't know; I'll leave it up to That Guy. But, yes, I DO mind! :afraid:
  • Former Member
    The One Speed Only Swims everything from a 50 to a 1000 at virtually the same pace. Including warm-up.
  • Isn't that "he who swims in the lane next to The Fortress at meets"? :bolt::bolt::bolt: I'm just relieved that now I don't have to answer. Thank you matysekj!