Swimming Stereotypes

Former Member
Former Member
Equipment Rep Trains with every piece of equipment available at all times. The Luddite Trains with nothing. Only uses a loin cloth and goggles in workout. The Barnacle Leaves right on your feet. Couldn't count to five or ten if his life depnded on it. The Coach Not an actual coach, but someone who is consumed with technique. Swimming is a precise set of moves that can be broken down, categorized, and scientifically analyzed. The Jaded Could care less about technique. Just wants to swim and leave the analysis to the eggheads. The Swimaholic Trains at least 10 swimming workouts a week. Anything less is viewed as not trying. Fast Guy who Never Trains Shows up once a month and breaks national records in practice. Hardest Working Man in the Swim Business Trains like a ferocious animal in workout, but has no speed when it comes to racing. Lane Guy Works out in a lane that is far too fast or slow for him. The Crack Guy Dude, pull your swimsuit up or get a bigger size. The Newbie Shows up to practice in board shorts and a scuba mask. _________________ As for myself, I would fall into the categories of Luddite and Jaded. Also, I wrote this from a male perspective, but the women are included as well. Any other stereotypes?
  • Yup. Gotta love tri guys... "only way to get better is to swim straight sets of the distance we have to race...grunt grunt grunt" If you gotta time...go to the downtown Y or north river in chattanooga...they have each have a lap pool that is about 80-81 degrees before the AU meet. Thanks, wookiee. I probably will head up to Chattanooga a few times in the next couple of weeks. Our pool has been hanging out between 85 and 87. Love Chattanooga - one of the coolest cities in the SE and easy to get around.
  • Haven't seen this type listed here and am at a loss for naming, perhaps the good folks of the forums will help. This person is reasonably fast and always swims in the fastest lane, but cannot keep up without cheating. Working out in a 50 meter pool, this person will swim the first length of a 100 freestyle, then turn on his/her back to pull on the lane lines for the second 50. If she/he is behind the pack in a set (and usually is, since he/she is not as fast as the rest of the lane), a mid pool turnaround is in order to create the effect of keeping up with the lane. Oh, and they use fins for the entire workout, sometimes only using one fin to show that they can keep up, I guess. The only name I come with is cheater, but that is not very inventive. Any other suggestions?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    What is scary is when you run into one that acts this way and really doesn't know that much about swimming. Also, I've come across a few triathletes that have looked down their noses at me when they asked my opinion and I suggested they try doing sets of 100s instead of straight swims of 1,000 yards. Yup. Gotta love tri guys... "only way to get better is to swim straight sets of the distance we have to race...grunt grunt grunt" If you gotta time...go to the downtown Y or north river in chattanooga...they have each have a lap pool that is about 80-81 degrees before the AU meet.
  • Former Member
    I enjoy those with "god like complex" They seem to know everything about swimming, how people should swim, how people should train and if they are questioned or a person dares swim strokes in a way that are opposing to their thinking, then that swimmer is wrong and isn't considered a good swimmer. You will find this type of person at most pools that are busy with teams, lap swimmers, noodlers, etc. This person will gladly tell you what it thinks and if you disagree with dismiss you as uneducated on the sport of swimming.
  • Haven't seen this type listed here and am at a loss for naming, perhaps the good folks of the forums will help. This person is reasonably fast and always swims in the fastest lane, but cannot keep up without cheating. Working out in a 50 meter pool, this person will swim the first length of a 100 freestyle, then turn on his/her back to pull on the lane lines for the second 50. If she/he is behind the pack in a set (and usually is, since he/she is not as fast as the rest of the lane), a mid pool turnaround is in order to create the effect of keeping up with the lane. Oh, and they use fins for the entire workout, sometimes only using one fin to show that they can keep up, I guess. The only name I come with is cheater, but that is not very inventive. Any other suggestions? Cheating weasels - a la Dilbert. I've witnessed this in swimmers from 6 to 60+, so it's definitely a universal. Watch a group of the fastest swimmers in the pool and give them a set of 8 x 50 IM order, :20 RI You will be amazed at how many cut the rest time by substantial amounts to stay with the group. The other end of the pool is no different.
  • Cheating weasels - a la Dilbert. I've witnessed this in swimmers from 6 to 60+, so it's definitely a universal. Watch a group of the fastest swimmers in the pool and give them a set of 8 x 50 IM order, :20 RI You will be amazed at how many cut the rest time but substantial amounts to stay with the group. The other end of the pool is no different. Doesn't this explain a lot about human herding instincts, from Rush Limbaugh dittoheads to hedge fund managers?
  • Former Member
    I am a cheating weasel. I have mental problems too; I am scared of sets of 35 per 50, 1:10 per hundred, 2:20 per 200. (Longer ones I'm cool with). I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I admit, I leave early (not on the first one) to bank seconds. I feel I own them, I created them. They are my seconds to use at my whim. Those seconds give me comfort during my pain. I use them carefully. I enjoy watching the clock go backwards, and if need be, catch up to my challenging interval. I am a cheating weasel.
  • Former Member
    Be careful about being a cheating weasel...it could get you impeached.
  • Former Member
    One fin?! Seems like that would really mess up your stroke. That's the reason they U-turn in the middle of the length...........