Swimming Stereotypes

Former Member
Former Member
Equipment Rep Trains with every piece of equipment available at all times. The Luddite Trains with nothing. Only uses a loin cloth and goggles in workout. The Barnacle Leaves right on your feet. Couldn't count to five or ten if his life depnded on it. The Coach Not an actual coach, but someone who is consumed with technique. Swimming is a precise set of moves that can be broken down, categorized, and scientifically analyzed. The Jaded Could care less about technique. Just wants to swim and leave the analysis to the eggheads. The Swimaholic Trains at least 10 swimming workouts a week. Anything less is viewed as not trying. Fast Guy who Never Trains Shows up once a month and breaks national records in practice. Hardest Working Man in the Swim Business Trains like a ferocious animal in workout, but has no speed when it comes to racing. Lane Guy Works out in a lane that is far too fast or slow for him. The Crack Guy Dude, pull your swimsuit up or get a bigger size. The Newbie Shows up to practice in board shorts and a scuba mask. _________________ As for myself, I would fall into the categories of Luddite and Jaded. Also, I wrote this from a male perspective, but the women are included as well. Any other stereotypes?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    This is great stuff. I see myself as a mesh of many of the stereotypes. I also see a lot of those stereotypes in the pool, whether in team practice on just at practice on my own time.
  • Doug, The Burner. Right on, man. I knew that dude. His name was Monty which fit well. He swam with me in college and the last I heard he was working in a flower shop. On a swim meet trip he once partied all night with Golden Earring after he broke curfew to go to their concert and still kicked everyone's ass the next day. Best swimmer on the team and occasionally smoke would come wafting out of his room as he left for workouts. He never seemed to quite hit his tapers though, but mid-season he was freaking great. I am sure you are referring to our more famous friend, but this has to be a fairly common stereotype. Tim The team I am on is at a public university (ASU) and we have a fair number of younger swimmers, most of whom are students. There are a few who wear Birkenstocks, natural clothes, and handcrafts from Third World countries. Dunno how many of 'em enjoy the Ganja nor do I care. Still you gotta think, is that guy/gal a Burner?
  • Thru all the oddities we have ,we are still in the water to keep our head on straight!:afraid:
  • The Zig-Zag Man: Older man with a beard and long hair in a pony-tail who comes to practice every once in a while. Wears a special necklace everywhere, usually a peace symbol or some other ecclectic item. Clothes come from thrift shops and he drives an old VW or Subaru with "Free Tibet" stickers on it. He is a quiet individual who normally sticks to himself. Doesn't go to meets or social functions. This individual is very healthy, he grows his own plants and herbs, goes to farmers markets and hippie co-ops, and prepares his own juices. May be an older Burner, former top-level athlete, hippie, starving artist, professional college student, alternative medicine practitioner, guru, trust fund kiddie, community organizer, religious prophet, or just a guy who likes to stay in shape.
  • The Burner - This is a young, tall, skinny guy who swims really fast and is very mellow all the time. Then you go party with him and you find out why, he smokes weed! When he is not wearing his fancy workout threads he is wearing his organic hemp t-shirt and a beanie hand-woven from natural fabric made by a villager in Jamaica. Talks about going to the beach with his "bros" a lot and chillin' out to world music. Far out!
  • Swim Commuter - old man who swims 25 yards from the men's locker room door to the hot tub, and then later swims back. After the first leg of his trip, the pool reeks of his aftershave. He swims right down the middle of a lane, regardless of who is in it or what they are doing.
  • Doug, The Burner. Right on, man. I knew that dude. His name was Monty which fit well. He swam with me in college and the last I heard he was working in a flower shop. On a swim meet trip he once partied all night with Golden Earring after he broke curfew to go to their concert and still kicked everyone's ass the next day. Best swimmer on the team and occasionally smoke would come wafting out of his room as he left for workouts. He never seemed to quite hit his tapers though, but mid-season he was freaking great. I am sure you are referring to our more famous friend, but this has to be a fairly common stereotype. Tim
  • Former Member
    I loved being the newbie =).
  • What's the one for that guy who swam in high school and college and was the slowest guy on the team. And then after taking 9 years off he comes back to swimming because he'd always wanted to do the crazy open-water swims? That's me... :coffee: Ummm, actually that's me, too. Now I look down my noses at people who only swim sets of 100's even though I'm still so damned slow.
  • Former Member
    What's the one for that guy who swam in high school and college and was the slowest guy on the team. And then after taking 9 years off he comes back to swimming because he'd always wanted to do the crazy open-water swims? That's me... :coffee: