Swimming on your Period?

Former Member
Former Member
I just became the coach of my first swim team, and I, being a male, am having a hard time with the whole period thing. My girls are middle school level, and a little shy about the subject, as am I. Now, I know that you can swim on your period by using a tampon, but they cringed at the idea. However, on a 20 girl team, I've got as many as 6-7 girls sitting out daily because of it. I know that's far FAR too high. I'm about this close to going out and buying a box of tampons to shove in their face if they don't dress. So my questions are: How necessary is it that you wear a tampon? Is it an every day thing? are there times when it's worse than others? And, how can I easily make the lives of the swimmers who don't swim (and keep in mind it has to be for a group of 6-7 people) a living hell. I need a dry land work out that can be done on the pool deck that takes little effort to watch (so I can coach the other girls) and something they can't really slack off - I keep giving them push ups and they barely go down. I really can't think of anything outside of making the actual swim session fun, so if you guys have ideas on how to do that too it might work, too. It need to work on something important though.
Parents
  • As ex-college coach of women athletes I want you to know that this shouldn't be an issue. Maybe because the women I coached were highly motivated individuals and they wouldn't have never used nor would have I accepted the excuse that one of them couldn't swim because is was that special time of the month. I would suggest approaching this issue more from a general team concept than one of a women's issue. My question to the athletes would be: are they committed to getting better as a swimmer and do they understand the training program you are putting together for them? Does taking a couple days off help them in their ultimate goals... most likely not! I'm sure there are plenty of coaches that will support you in the fact there is no reason why women (young teenage girls) can't swim while in their menstrual cycle. It would surprise me if the top level teams allowed for this excuse.... to get out of workout. Good luck and get those girls in the water!
  • As ex-college coach of women athletes I want you to know that this shouldn't be an issue. Maybe because the women I coached were highly motivated individuals and they wouldn't have never used nor would have I accepted the excuse that one of them couldn't swim because is was that special time of the month. I would suggest approaching this issue more from a general team concept than one of a women's issue. My question to the athletes would be: are they committed to getting better as a swimmer and do they understand the training program you are putting together for them? Does taking a couple days off help them in their ultimate goals... most likely not! I'm sure there are plenty of coaches that will support you in the fact there is no reason why women (young teenage girls) can't swim while in their menstrual cycle. It would surprise me if the top level teams allowed for this excuse.... to get out of workout. Good luck and get those girls in the water!
Children
No Data