Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Has it occurred to you that the season length and/or apathy may be due to the fact that it's an it's an SCY world due to the predominance of SCY pools so facilities that _could_ host SCM are busy hosting SCY? October 27th, 2008 02:42 PM It is not a short course yards world. He was one of the 1st pioneers of mega yardage and over traning in the 1970s. I finally know where the blame lies for having to swim 12,000 plus meters a day as a pre-teen. Curse you Mr. Shubert, curse you.
  • I am all about SCM and LCM since they are international standards. It would not bother me at all if SCY pools were re-done to become SCM pools. After all, many of the new pools being built these days are SCM... A longer LCM season would be welcomed too but since most LCM pools in the US are outdoors, this is a problem in colder climes. Oh well, don't expect that to happen anytime soon. On a side note, not even the British use Imperial measurements anymore and use SI instead... SI=Systeme Internacionale or the Metric System
  • ...I can't imagine why new pools wouldn't be built SCM.... Building a new pool in the US, if you want to host age group meets, high school meets, and college meets you have to have a SCY option. Perhaps you can build a SCM pool and have a removable bulkhead to close the gap. I'm not sure any pool operators are looking for that headache either. I agree with the idea that we should be moving to a SCM standard, but I will be dead and buried long before that occurs. Maybe another idea would be to have a short course meters season that is a subset of the short course season. In other words, have SCM run from Sept to Dec and SCY run from Sept to May. LCM exclusively from May to August. Maybe it's already like that (I don't really know). Over time and when pool and meet availability the schedules could migrate to a SCM/LCM like the rest of the world. What's the swim season schedule in non-US locations?
  • I would say this discussion is moot considering Mark Schubert's position and actions regarding short course swimming in general. John Smith Could you expand on that? I am not familiar with Mark Schubert's position.
  • Former Member
    As early as 1972 (when I was in 2nd grade), we were told that we needed to learn the metric system as the US would soon be switching to it. Still waiting here. I make sure, however, that my daughter can judge temperatures and distances (I still have difficulty with volume) in both systems. I think we're stuck with SCY because of the pools built to that spec, but I can't imagine why new pools wouldn't be built SCM. I'm fortunate that I have both available to swim in.
  • Former Member
    I would say this discussion is moot considering Mark Schubert's position and actions regarding short course swimming in general. John Smith
  • Former Member
    Are they still building 25 yard pools these days?
  • I used to swim with NEM and there's two great SCM meets in New England. The Leaf Peepers meet in VT (pool is 25y x 25m) and BU. I did these every year I was in New England. I also found that I usually didn't notice the difference in distance.
  • I like SCM SEASON I like SC (.) Though I might be better conditioned during LC, it is then that my reflexes get fried and I have to readjust to having the necessary wall of leverage with SC. The only difference between SC Y and M for me is one breath.
  • Training in Arizona, I LOVE the SCM season because it is the best time of year to train here between ~September and late November -- the heat has finally dissipated so swimming mid-day is feasible, but the 30-something mornings and chilly evenings are yet to appear, so swimming at those times are also great. Plus, as our only indoor competition pool is at like a million mile altitude (Flagstaff), we can also have outdoor meets in the fall where you don't fry (May to August) or freeze (December to March). Oh yeah, April's also nice for meets here, but then it's SCY and you can't measure yourself up against the Germans, French, Aussies and ROW.