Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
Parents
  • ...I can't imagine why new pools wouldn't be built SCM.... Building a new pool in the US, if you want to host age group meets, high school meets, and college meets you have to have a SCY option. Perhaps you can build a SCM pool and have a removable bulkhead to close the gap. I'm not sure any pool operators are looking for that headache either. I agree with the idea that we should be moving to a SCM standard, but I will be dead and buried long before that occurs. Maybe another idea would be to have a short course meters season that is a subset of the short course season. In other words, have SCM run from Sept to Dec and SCY run from Sept to May. LCM exclusively from May to August. Maybe it's already like that (I don't really know). Over time and when pool and meet availability the schedules could migrate to a SCM/LCM like the rest of the world. What's the swim season schedule in non-US locations?
  • ...I can't imagine why new pools wouldn't be built SCM.... Building a new pool in the US, if you want to host age group meets, high school meets, and college meets you have to have a SCY option. Perhaps you can build a SCM pool and have a removable bulkhead to close the gap. I'm not sure any pool operators are looking for that headache either. I agree with the idea that we should be moving to a SCM standard, but I will be dead and buried long before that occurs. Maybe another idea would be to have a short course meters season that is a subset of the short course season. In other words, have SCM run from Sept to Dec and SCY run from Sept to May. LCM exclusively from May to August. Maybe it's already like that (I don't really know). Over time and when pool and meet availability the schedules could migrate to a SCM/LCM like the rest of the world. What's the swim season schedule in non-US locations?
Children
No Data