Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    SCM is a world standard, so it would be nice to get on the same page. That said, swimming SCY doesn't seem to hurt American swimmers in international competition. As far as the excuse about not swimming SCM because of lack of SCM training; I don't get it. The only difference I notice is the time. You can train in a SCY pool and have great success at a SCM meet. It may be a slight adjustment for backstrokers, but that can be easily simulated.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    SCM is a world standard, so it would be nice to get on the same page. That said, swimming SCY doesn't seem to hurt American swimmers in international competition. As far as the excuse about not swimming SCM because of lack of SCM training; I don't get it. The only difference I notice is the time. You can train in a SCY pool and have great success at a SCM meet. It may be a slight adjustment for backstrokers, but that can be easily simulated.
Children
No Data