Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Could you expand on that? I am not familiar with Mark Schubert's position. Mark's position throughout the years has consistently been one emphasizing Long Course over Short Course. He was one of the 1st pioneers of mega yardage and over traning in the 1970s. The US short course nationals were moved from the Spring to the end of the calendar year partly because of his position (or shall we say opposition). Some feel from his comments and history that he is equally biased against sprinting vs. middle distance and distance swimming. During his coaching career, a much greater portion of his success was derived from 200s and above as opposed to the 50s and 100s. John Smith
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Could you expand on that? I am not familiar with Mark Schubert's position. Mark's position throughout the years has consistently been one emphasizing Long Course over Short Course. He was one of the 1st pioneers of mega yardage and over traning in the 1970s. The US short course nationals were moved from the Spring to the end of the calendar year partly because of his position (or shall we say opposition). Some feel from his comments and history that he is equally biased against sprinting vs. middle distance and distance swimming. During his coaching career, a much greater portion of his success was derived from 200s and above as opposed to the 50s and 100s. John Smith
Children
No Data