sensitivity to chlorine

Former Member
Former Member
5 days ago I took a job at a local YMCA working at the front desk checking clients into the facility. I am nowhere near the vicinity of the 3 indoor pools, yet I smell the chlorine and there is a burning sensation in my nose and I begin to sneeze. I do not feel ill when there, just uncomfortable and embarrassed as well, as I have to deal with the public while I'm sneezing. My co-workers all say I will get used to the smell, but none of them have ever had any burning sensation or sneezing. My pharmacist suggests an antihistamine, and my husband feels that if I have to take medication in order to do my job, I shouldn't be working there. I tend to agree with him. Though I love my job, my health is more important, and will gladly resign. When I leave the building I am fine. I have no other allergies. Have any of you experienced this reaction before? I have swam in outdoor chlorinated pools many times and never had a problem. Any suggestions would help. Marta
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Could it just be that particular pool? In my experience I've noticed a lot of YMCA's have more chlorine in their pools than they should. As an age grouper I had a lot of sinus problems due to the overchlorination and the heat. My pool at college seems to be a lot cooler and has less chlorine as far as I can tell, and I haven't had a problem there.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Could it just be that particular pool? In my experience I've noticed a lot of YMCA's have more chlorine in their pools than they should. As an age grouper I had a lot of sinus problems due to the overchlorination and the heat. My pool at college seems to be a lot cooler and has less chlorine as far as I can tell, and I haven't had a problem there.
Children
No Data