sensitivity to chlorine

Former Member
Former Member
5 days ago I took a job at a local YMCA working at the front desk checking clients into the facility. I am nowhere near the vicinity of the 3 indoor pools, yet I smell the chlorine and there is a burning sensation in my nose and I begin to sneeze. I do not feel ill when there, just uncomfortable and embarrassed as well, as I have to deal with the public while I'm sneezing. My co-workers all say I will get used to the smell, but none of them have ever had any burning sensation or sneezing. My pharmacist suggests an antihistamine, and my husband feels that if I have to take medication in order to do my job, I shouldn't be working there. I tend to agree with him. Though I love my job, my health is more important, and will gladly resign. When I leave the building I am fine. I have no other allergies. Have any of you experienced this reaction before? I have swam in outdoor chlorinated pools many times and never had a problem. Any suggestions would help. Marta
  • Have you considered other closer sources for this problem, like the stuff they clean the floors, counters, etc with that are right under hand or foot? Seems if the pool is a long way away that might be a less likely candidate for this issue over other closer items. Maybe a co-worker has fleas. If memory serves me correctly chlorine is not an allergen anyway.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    During Desert Storm, the soldiers drank and bathed in a lot of chlorinated water. A very few developed a sensitivity to it that I don't think they every adjusted to (even after their return). It may just be genetic.
  • Former Member
    Could it just be that particular pool? In my experience I've noticed a lot of YMCA's have more chlorine in their pools than they should. As an age grouper I had a lot of sinus problems due to the overchlorination and the heat. My pool at college seems to be a lot cooler and has less chlorine as far as I can tell, and I haven't had a problem there.
  • Former Member
    Could it just be that particular pool? In my experience I've noticed a lot of YMCA's have more chlorine in their pools than they should. As an age grouper I had a lot of sinus problems due to the overchlorination and the heat. My pool at college seems to be a lot cooler and has less chlorine as far as I can tell, and I haven't had a problem there. It may not be overchlorination it could be an acid condition in the pool water letting small amounts of chlorine gas being realeased. This could be deadly.
  • Former Member
    I go along with Aquageek on this one. It might have nothing to do with the chlorine at all. I, too, have been sneezing a lot lately and it is not because of pool water. It could just be the change of season. My suggestion is go to your doctor and get an allergy test done. It might come from a totally unsuspecting source. Then you won't have to quit your job at all. Syd
  • (Well I just discovered another function of the new forums. As I was creating a new thread, I typed “allergic” in the subject line and I was presented with all these former threads on the same topic. So, I’m just responding to the newest, more than 14 year old thread of which it appears that only one of  the respondents is still a member.)
    Anyway…over the past two or three years…I’m coming to the realization that I have a slight allergic (or sensitivity) reaction to chlorine. After doing a lengthy swim in a chlorinated pool, I have sinus congestion, runny nose, and sneezing for about the next 24 hours. I’ve tried doing sinus rinses after the swims (I regularly use a sinus rinse anyway) but it doesn’t really seem to help after a prolonged exposure (lengthy swim). And the thing is…it doesn’t happen when I swim in open water (salt or fresh). As I said I use the sinus rinse, and nasal spray to help me get through it. But otherwise I’m a mouth breather for about a day post-swim. Just wondering if others have this issue, and what you do to combat it.
    Dan 
  • try using Flonase nasal spray after you swim.

• If I take a Claritin before (or after) I swim, it really helps. I buy the Costco brand of Claritin.

• Actually, I corresponded with my primary care doc via a patient portal about this symptom and he just prescribed Flonase for me (I know it’s OTC but it was just to get me started I guess). He told me to just use it daily. It’s a good thing I did correspond with him. I mentioned that I also currently take a Claratin daily and wondered if maybe Claratin-D might resolve the problem. He informed me that pseudoephedrine (Claratin-D) can cause, or worsen urine retention in guys with BPH (which I’m also in treatment for).