Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
Parents
  • i have said in the past that i enjoy a good practice as much as i do a good race. i would think that many masters do as well and so, do not devote 6 months or more training for a 50 or 200 at nats. it makes those who do stand out as the exceptions. David, again this is my opinion for take it for what its worth...but the comments above are in my opinion exactly what's wrong with most masters teams/swimmers. Regardless of wether you are a fitness swimmer who will never compete, an occasional competitor or a fully dedicated racer training needs to be cycled (periodization). Each swimmer should set up either a real or "imaginary" event to focus towards and run through the basic cycles associated with base training, hard interval base training, speed work, rest. Its only through these cycles that you will continue to see improvement vs, simply working out for working outs sake. As to the questions of how to incorporate quality work into a program that does no real quality its easier than you think....change lanes and go shorter distances with more rest, move to the back of the pack in a lane and leave 10-15 seconds behind and do a fast swim, stay after practice and do some no-breather 25's from a dive, etc. etc.
  • i have said in the past that i enjoy a good practice as much as i do a good race. i would think that many masters do as well and so, do not devote 6 months or more training for a 50 or 200 at nats. it makes those who do stand out as the exceptions. David, again this is my opinion for take it for what its worth...but the comments above are in my opinion exactly what's wrong with most masters teams/swimmers. Regardless of wether you are a fitness swimmer who will never compete, an occasional competitor or a fully dedicated racer training needs to be cycled (periodization). Each swimmer should set up either a real or "imaginary" event to focus towards and run through the basic cycles associated with base training, hard interval base training, speed work, rest. Its only through these cycles that you will continue to see improvement vs, simply working out for working outs sake. As to the questions of how to incorporate quality work into a program that does no real quality its easier than you think....change lanes and go shorter distances with more rest, move to the back of the pack in a lane and leave 10-15 seconds behind and do a fast swim, stay after practice and do some no-breather 25's from a dive, etc. etc.
Children
No Data