Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
Parents
  • I think what you're getting at is that if you're in the pool just a few hours per week you should concentrate on race-pace and technique training rather than aerobic or "long slow distance" training, and I agree. I would, however, disagree that base training is better attained through something like a spin class, though. What's your basis for this? If you look at a lot of elite swimmers at the national and collegiate level (Mike Bottom, Frank Busch, etc.) you will find that spinning classes have become an accepted cross training mechanism (numerous articles in various fitness publications have shown studies of the benefits)...its very hard if not impossible to get your heart rate as high and maintain it in the pool as you can on a bike...I put in 30-60 minutes and maintain 140+.... And I'm (contrary to most peoples thinking) not a "sprinter" (my most recent SCY 200 free was a negative split 1:44+ and I went 4:48 in the 500). The cross training I do allows me to extend my range from the 50 thru the 500 (I don't swim the 1000 in meets as I find it very boring but have been under 10:10 in practice the few times I've not opted out). A comment on Dara's regime vs. most masters....Dara is not a "masters" swimmer she is a pro who earns a significant amount of money through endorsements, modeling, etc.... Regarding why a masters swimmer would ever cheat...ego aside...follow the money. There is money to be made in this sport via clinics, private coaching, etc. Not a lot...but more than people would realize.
  • I think what you're getting at is that if you're in the pool just a few hours per week you should concentrate on race-pace and technique training rather than aerobic or "long slow distance" training, and I agree. I would, however, disagree that base training is better attained through something like a spin class, though. What's your basis for this? If you look at a lot of elite swimmers at the national and collegiate level (Mike Bottom, Frank Busch, etc.) you will find that spinning classes have become an accepted cross training mechanism (numerous articles in various fitness publications have shown studies of the benefits)...its very hard if not impossible to get your heart rate as high and maintain it in the pool as you can on a bike...I put in 30-60 minutes and maintain 140+.... And I'm (contrary to most peoples thinking) not a "sprinter" (my most recent SCY 200 free was a negative split 1:44+ and I went 4:48 in the 500). The cross training I do allows me to extend my range from the 50 thru the 500 (I don't swim the 1000 in meets as I find it very boring but have been under 10:10 in practice the few times I've not opted out). A comment on Dara's regime vs. most masters....Dara is not a "masters" swimmer she is a pro who earns a significant amount of money through endorsements, modeling, etc.... Regarding why a masters swimmer would ever cheat...ego aside...follow the money. There is money to be made in this sport via clinics, private coaching, etc. Not a lot...but more than people would realize.
Children
No Data