Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Personally, I don't think a "personal opinion" requires evidentiary substantiation. In a legal sense perhaps you are right. But an opinion like goggles' is, if not slanderous,at the very least, hurtful. I think if goggles wants to express negative opionions then some sort of explanation is not unwarranted. This is a public forum where everyone expresses their personal opinions all the time. Someone could have "doubts" based solely on the uniqueness of the achievement and the seemingly universal practice of "cheating" in many sports. Not necessarily tantamount to "insinuation." That view's as equally valid as someone believing Torres is just phenomenally talented and employs superior and novel training tactics. I quite agree but there is a qualitative difference between the view that she is phenomenally talented and the view that she is potentially a cheater. Once again, I just think that if people are prepared to make personal opinions public then in all good nature they should be prepared to present at least a little evidence to back them up. Any less and we could run the risk of turning debate into a slandering match of personal opinion volleys. If you're talking "personal opinion." When it comes to meets and competing, all that matters is postitive tests. Couldn't agree with you more on this one, and, quite frankly, until I see any positive test results I believe in her. Syd
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Personally, I don't think a "personal opinion" requires evidentiary substantiation. In a legal sense perhaps you are right. But an opinion like goggles' is, if not slanderous,at the very least, hurtful. I think if goggles wants to express negative opionions then some sort of explanation is not unwarranted. This is a public forum where everyone expresses their personal opinions all the time. Someone could have "doubts" based solely on the uniqueness of the achievement and the seemingly universal practice of "cheating" in many sports. Not necessarily tantamount to "insinuation." That view's as equally valid as someone believing Torres is just phenomenally talented and employs superior and novel training tactics. I quite agree but there is a qualitative difference between the view that she is phenomenally talented and the view that she is potentially a cheater. Once again, I just think that if people are prepared to make personal opinions public then in all good nature they should be prepared to present at least a little evidence to back them up. Any less and we could run the risk of turning debate into a slandering match of personal opinion volleys. If you're talking "personal opinion." When it comes to meets and competing, all that matters is postitive tests. Couldn't agree with you more on this one, and, quite frankly, until I see any positive test results I believe in her. Syd
Children
No Data