Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    There is at least one woman on the Canadian national cycling team who is over 40. Jeanne Longo is my age (49) and still riding for France, although she's probably not the best example of drug-free, having been caught twice with cold medication in her system. Grete Waitz was still turning in high level results in running in her late 30s. I think it's only because swimmers have traditionally hung up their goggles so young that it's considered unusual for Darra Torres to still be racing so well at 40. I mean, being a master at 21??? In cycling you used to have to be 35, although it was recently lowered to 30 for some reason. By the look of it, she works a lot on strength through dryland training, and that probably keeps her from developing overuse injuries. At 40, less probably is more when it comes to very repetitive activities such as swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    There is at least one woman on the Canadian national cycling team who is over 40. Jeanne Longo is my age (49) and still riding for France, although she's probably not the best example of drug-free, having been caught twice with cold medication in her system. Grete Waitz was still turning in high level results in running in her late 30s. I think it's only because swimmers have traditionally hung up their goggles so young that it's considered unusual for Darra Torres to still be racing so well at 40. I mean, being a master at 21??? In cycling you used to have to be 35, although it was recently lowered to 30 for some reason. By the look of it, she works a lot on strength through dryland training, and that probably keeps her from developing overuse injuries. At 40, less probably is more when it comes to very repetitive activities such as swimming.
Children
No Data