Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Actually, Neil has never taken 2 extended periods of retirement like Dara. Her 7 year or so break prior to her 2000 comeback and then this recent 7 year break since 2000. I don't think he would be a good comparison to Dara because of this. Taking years off like that results in muscle memory loss, aerobic loss, stroke timing issues and obvious strength loss such as in the weight room. That is a long time let the race car sit idle in the garage. I don't know why so many people think that Dara has kept her self in great condition to benefit her swimming during these off years. Any top level coach will tell you, there is VERY little substitute for practicing swimming fast other than working out in the pool and SWIMMING FAST. She did not swim hard for years on end during her breaks which total around 13 years. I would submit to you that her inbetween retirement years are no more active or conditioning related than her peers her age at the USMS nationals.... probably less. Look if age is irrelevant, why aren't numerous 40 year olds going seconds faster than the fastest 30 year old? There is a reason the USMS records GET SLOWER AS YOU GET OLDER. John Smith
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Actually, Neil has never taken 2 extended periods of retirement like Dara. Her 7 year or so break prior to her 2000 comeback and then this recent 7 year break since 2000. I don't think he would be a good comparison to Dara because of this. Taking years off like that results in muscle memory loss, aerobic loss, stroke timing issues and obvious strength loss such as in the weight room. That is a long time let the race car sit idle in the garage. I don't know why so many people think that Dara has kept her self in great condition to benefit her swimming during these off years. Any top level coach will tell you, there is VERY little substitute for practicing swimming fast other than working out in the pool and SWIMMING FAST. She did not swim hard for years on end during her breaks which total around 13 years. I would submit to you that her inbetween retirement years are no more active or conditioning related than her peers her age at the USMS nationals.... probably less. Look if age is irrelevant, why aren't numerous 40 year olds going seconds faster than the fastest 30 year old? There is a reason the USMS records GET SLOWER AS YOU GET OLDER. John Smith
Children
No Data