Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Wow...this thread is a very interesting read. For me, I'm perfectly happy to give Torres the benefit of the doubt given her long track record of achievement combined with the fact that she has never tested positive for any banned substance. My reasons are twofold: (1) Her story inspires me, and I don't want to deprive myself of that inspiration. Now, if there is clearcut evidence that she's doping, then I'll immediately change my view of her accordingly. But, if the best evidence is "C'mon, what are the odds she can swim that well?" - well, I'd like to believe she can swim that well - therein lies the inspiration! :) Am I drinking the Kool Aid - maybe. Even if I am, though - what harm is done? The only consequence is that I will have pushed myself further (and in my case, returned to swimming at all) because I believed her story. I think I can live with that consequence. (2) With all things being equal, I'd rather give an athlete the benefit of the doubt that their achievement is the result of profitable hard work. It seems much worse to me to wrongly suspect an athlete of cheating... if Torres, or anyone else, is found to be doping, then there will be plenty of time to retract the benefit of the doubt. That said, I also don't really care what anyone else thinks. I have no problem with people who want to be more suspicious or pessimistic. BTW: am I the only one who would be perfectly happy with some Olympic relay golds? I think I'd see that as a reasonable indicator of swimming success, myself. ;)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Wow...this thread is a very interesting read. For me, I'm perfectly happy to give Torres the benefit of the doubt given her long track record of achievement combined with the fact that she has never tested positive for any banned substance. My reasons are twofold: (1) Her story inspires me, and I don't want to deprive myself of that inspiration. Now, if there is clearcut evidence that she's doping, then I'll immediately change my view of her accordingly. But, if the best evidence is "C'mon, what are the odds she can swim that well?" - well, I'd like to believe she can swim that well - therein lies the inspiration! :) Am I drinking the Kool Aid - maybe. Even if I am, though - what harm is done? The only consequence is that I will have pushed myself further (and in my case, returned to swimming at all) because I believed her story. I think I can live with that consequence. (2) With all things being equal, I'd rather give an athlete the benefit of the doubt that their achievement is the result of profitable hard work. It seems much worse to me to wrongly suspect an athlete of cheating... if Torres, or anyone else, is found to be doping, then there will be plenty of time to retract the benefit of the doubt. That said, I also don't really care what anyone else thinks. I have no problem with people who want to be more suspicious or pessimistic. BTW: am I the only one who would be perfectly happy with some Olympic relay golds? I think I'd see that as a reasonable indicator of swimming success, myself. ;)
Children
No Data