Monofins: How Tight?

Former Member
Former Member
Ok who has one..how tight should it fit your feet? I tried mine on (dry) it hurt like heck and felt really tight over my foot? I'm a size 10 sneaker and got size 8.5-10 Monofin. The next size is 10.5-12. Just trying to gather a concensus for how you fit your MF. Thanks Rich
  • Rich, I don't own one, but have used the ones available at my pools. I have no idea what size they said. The ones I've used tended to run pretty tight. I'd stick with the 8.5-10 if I were you. Those things are pretty powerful, and the last thing you want is for you to take a stroke and have the thing fly off, or to be so loose you're massively chafing up your feet.
  • Stud, They sound too tight to me. You might want to get your feet wet and try them again. Mine go on much easier when my feet and the fins are wet, but when they are dry (when I tried them at the store), they did not hurt as bad as yours seem to. I blister easly and the ones I have now (blisters at first) fit really good now.:fish2:
  • I would try it on in the water, not on land. MFs are no good on land. ;) I don't know what brand yours is, but mine is a finis shooter. Mine doesn't have the size on it, but it's probably the next size down from you, as I'm a shoe size 8, so I would probably be toward the upper end of the size spectrum with mine? My toes don't quite reach the end of the shoe box. It's tight, but not too tight. I would think an MF would have to be fairly tight, just like regular fins. You don't want your feet wiggling/wobbling around inside it. Something that goes up to size 12 when you're a size 10 sounds pretty big.
  • The only time I ever use fins is to work my core for swimming fly OR to practice dolphin kick with BR pull. Pretty soon your gut will be strong enough that you'll be doing the 200 FL and wondering why the race is over so soon! Then you can change your avatar. Yeah, I'm really getting sick of that avatar! Great for the core and the glutes! Don't know about that 200 fly though ... have to do more mindless yardage for that baby. :thhbbb: My MF still has the warning sticker: "Warning. The MF blade edges are sharp. Please use caution when swimming with others. This model is not recommended for children under the age of 12." Clearly, this is not comprehensive enough. Doesn't even mention toe slicing.
  • Rich just wants to look like the chiseled Statue of David that is in my avatar...:bouncing: Studman, once you get that monofin fit, I think you'll be addicted to it. Its a great toy. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my snorkel, but the MF may be next!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I would try it on in the water, not on land. MFs are no good on land. ;) I don't know what brand yours is, but mine is a finis shooter. Mine doesn't have the size on it, but it's probably the next size down from you, as I'm a shoe size 8, so I would probably be toward the upper end of the size spectrum with mine? My toes don't quite reach the end of the shoe box. It's tight, but not too tight. I would think an MF would have to be fairly tight, just like regular fins. You don't want your feet wiggling/wobbling around inside it. Something that goes up to size 12 when you're a size 10 sounds pretty big. I have the finis shooter. I've ordered the next size up. If I get it wet I can't return it...I'll compare side by side. It was free shipping anyhow :D
  • Former Member
    Tight enough to constrict the blood flow to the feet, so that, when you drop them sharp edge down on the foot, the blood loss will be less...
  • Former Member
    Tight enough to constrict the blood flow to the feet, so that, when you drop them sharp edge down on the foot, the blood loss will be less... Hey Mel, remember I'm a breastsroker... my feet will be turned out so it will hit the floor between them hehe
  • Former Member
    Hey Mel, remember I'm a breastsroker... my feet will be turned out so it will hit the floor between them hehe oh, that's right. Guess that's why I've never been tempted! However, with the new BR rule change maybe I should reconsider. Latest governmental news is that there will be a Surgeon General's warning on the devices that pregnant women and swimmers in general should be aware of significant dangers to the person wearing them and to those in the immediate vicinity. I believe there will be monofin and non-monofin seating sections at pools in the near future.
  • Former Member
    oh, that's right. Guess that's why I've never been tempted! However, with the new BR rule change maybe I should reconsider. Latest governmental news is that there will be a Surgeon General's warning on the devices that pregnant women and swimmers in general should be aware of significant dangers to the person wearing them and to those in the immediate vicinity. I believe there will be monofin and non-monofin seating sections at pools in the near future. I'm actually getting it to really help work my core a bit and help with Fly timing etc... plus it's fun way to liven up a workout on your own. I plan to only take it on Friday Saturday or Sunday when the pool is less crowded.