"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Update on the master plan.... Loved the new Omegas blocks, reduced my reaction time to 0.65. 50 Free time was a low 24 and a new British Record, so well happy with that. Only negative was a consequence of training for 50M - my longer events suffered a bit, so the new master plan is to attack the 100 and 200's. Keeps it interesting :)
  • Former Member
    Okay so two weeks ago at my very first meet I swam the 100 free as my first event ever. My "I hope I can get this" time was 1:30 and I went 1:28! This is a far cry from the 2:15ish I was going at the beginning of the summer so I consider a real breakthrough. The goal for the end of the season is 1:09 so I'm starting to think I may actually get there with a lot more training and some more racing experience.
  • Any footage of the 24.low? :bow: I would be happy to do that in yards
  • Former Member
    Congrats on a great swim and a new British record! A low 24 in the SCM 50 free sounds fast to me! How old are you? I'm trying to get from 26.8 to 'm 42, but feel fitter than at any time in my 30's. Life begins at 40 and all that.... You have plenty of time to get to sub 26. My advice is to practice starts and turns, stroke technique, and race pace practice - 25's and 50's with lots of rest. The Salo land training book is good too.
  • Okay so two weeks ago at my very first meet I swam the 100 free as my first event ever. My "I hope I can get this" time was 1:30 and I went 1:28! This is a far cry from the 2:15ish I was going at the beginning of the summer so I consider a real breakthrough. The goal for the end of the season is 1:09 so I'm starting to think I may actually get there with a lot more training and some more racing experience. Great! Keep up the good work!
  • Former Member
    Update on the master plan.... Loved the new Omegas blocks, reduced my reaction time to 0.65. 50 Free time was a low 24 and a new British Record, so well happy with that. Only negative was a consequence of training for 50M - my longer events suffered a bit, so the new master plan is to attack the 100 and 200's. Keeps it interesting :) Congrats on a great swim and a new British record! A low 24 in the SCM 50 free sounds fast to me! How old are you? I'm trying to get from 26.8 to
  • Former Member
    Okay so two weeks ago at my very first meet I swam the 100 free as my first event ever. My "I hope I can get this" time was 1:30 and I went 1:28! This is a far cry from the 2:15ish I was going at the beginning of the summer so I consider a real breakthrough. :applaud: What a huge improvement since the start of the summer! Great work. :applaud:
  • Notice the starts and turns. We practice these constantly, and it's not just to avoid actually having to do any actual swimming. Honest :) I believe that's what I need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough. And for my triathlon swim, sighting in open water. I'm much better at actual swimming than those things...
  • Former Member
    Any footage of the 24.low? :bow: I would be happy to do that in yards Should be in your Inbox. Notice the starts and turns. We practice these constantly, and it's not just to avoid actually having to do any actual swimming. Honest :)
  • Should be in your Inbox. Notice the starts and turns. We practice these constantly, and it's not just to avoid actually having to do any actual swimming. Honest :) Looks like you utilized a straight, lower angle for quickness at the start. I noticed the swimmer in the far lane may have had comparable speed, but he used a conventional track-start technique (launching out forward) - you had already entered the water while he was horizontal in mid-air. Then at the turn, you nailed it and found another meter. Awesome swim man. Curious, what suit did you use?