"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Anyone have a breakthrough last year? Anyone working on a BREAKTHROUGH this year? What are your goals? What are your plans? Tell us about it Since you asked... Last year's breakthrough was merely the fact that I rejoined the ranks of competition and still placed top 40 in my USA-S state meet at age 32 :) This years goal: or maybe its this month's goal is to go under 23.0 in the 50 scy free without a taper or shave, and anywhere in the 50.xx range for the 100. Both should be in the bag but I think it more depends on having flawless races than getting faster. The speed is there with some to spare. Ultimately for the year, tapered, I'd love to see a mid 22 for the 50y free , any 49 in the 100, and under 24 in the 50 fly. I think all 3 of these are realistic without too many changes to my 7000m/week lunchtime training regimen. This year's plan: Change over and become comfortable with a track start. I've wasted too many races on slow reaction with the grab start. It's too hard to shift 260lbs forward on the drop of a hat and I think the track start will help. I'm also planning on dabbling in the 200 free again to change it up a bit, but one race may be enough to make me remember how much i hate that event ;)
  • I worked on doing more lactic acid tolerance sets for SCM and it paid off with a 50 BR faster than my tech suit times. :applaud: :bow:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Congrats to all. My major breakthrough is one of mind; I have every desire to be the best that I can be. But I will have two children in college, still work 90 hrs a week, and still have family obligations that I will gladly uphold. That leaves me a small window for early morning workouts that I will do my best to stay motivated, focused, and have the time of my life. For when I retire, my time will come, and I want to be ready. Good luck to all in their years' goals, and I will continue to enjoy reading how you handle it.
  • Anyone have a breakthrough last year? Managed to lower my 200 SCY IM from a 2:40 to a 2:35.8 and SCM from a 3:00.7 to a 2:52.3. All other events stayed largely unchanged. Anyone working on a BREAKTHROUGH this year? What are your goals? Go under 2:30 in the 200IM SCY. What are your plans? Focus on IM in the pool and OW in the summer.
  • Anyone have a breakthrough last year? OK I felt like I had a breakthrough in 2010, I raced the 200 IM in 2010 wearing a jammer faster than I did in 2009 wearing a full body rubber suit Sun Jul 11th 2010 DAY 3 of Austin Sr Cir I raced the 200 IM (LCM) wearing a B70 NeroTX Jammer & went 2:18.45 split it 29.42 36.17 1:05.59 40.54 1:46.13 32.32 2:18.45 It was my best time in the 45 - 49 age group I went 2:21.24 in the 200 IM at the same meet in 2009 wearing a FULL BODY rubber suit SUIT (think it was a rocket science, it was during the weeks when B70's were illegal) HOW? In June 2010 I focused on training harder swam at least 6 days a week and did 10 doubles that month. also I lost weight went from 220ish to 210ish
  • thanks to everyone who's participating in this thread Anyone have a breakthrough last year? How did you do it? Anyone working on a BREAKTHROUGH this year? What are your goals? What are your plans? Please tell us about your breakthrough & how you hope to breakthrough in 2011 Thanks!
  • Anyone have a breakthrough last year? Anyone working on a BREAKTHROUGH this year? What are your goals? What are your plans? Tell us about it Anyone have a breakthrough last year? (1) Because I could not find an event on the schedule any more to my liking, I entered the 400 IM at Auburn. After a month or more preparing for it, I did ok, and it's turned into one of my better events. I actually like swimming it! (2) I followed some of Ande's sprint kicking program, improved my backstroke SDK, and got my 50 back time under 30! Anyone working on a BREAKTHROUGH this year? Someday I would like to swim a plausible 200 fly. I am working on it! But it may take more than a year. I still don't know if I ever want to swim a breaststroke event. That would be a real breakthrough. What are your goals? To have fun! To do at least one meet SCY, one meet LCM, and one meet SCM this year. To be satisfied with the results, whatever they are. To still be in swimming, and happily so, at year's end. What are your plans? Auburn: all backstroke events, 200 & 400 IM, maybe 500 free, maybe one other. St. Pat's. Maybe Wildcat. Sr. Games nats. LCM nats. Some SCM meets next fall.
  • Anyone working on one? Ande
  • Anyone working on one? Ande I am very close to making major jumps in all 4 strokes. Fly: developing 'cruise speed' and not dying after 50 yards. Almost to where 100 is a breeze Back: DPS keeps getting better, and both walls and the stroke in general are geting easier ***: My favorite stroke, but it felt like I was going backwards for a while. I am finally beginnign to understand the 'wave' and fully undulate and coordinate my pull and kick. DPS is getting better. I can go 25 underwater after pullout in 3 easy strokes. Free: I am starting to understand the body roll and my DPS is way down -- in my 200 warmup, every length is 12 or fewer strokes -- as low as 9 -- which is half of what it was a year ago. My 'tired' strokes per length is down to 15. Best part -- I am repeating :13 in a sprint from a push with 15 strokes. I was able to go :13 before, but with a much faster turnover (20+ strokes) To fully get there, I am ramping up my swim workouts, I've re-done my gym workout, and I continue to do the drills I've been doing for the past year.
  • breakdown and get a TECH SUIT for racing ande :D Thanks for your other tips, too, Ande. I'll keep working on it... But, can you give me SOME idea of where you think my stroke count should be? Thanks!