"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    What do I need to have a major swimming breakthrough? One of those Borat fastskins!! What's the worst that could happen?
  • Former Member
    What's the worst that could happen? I could laugh so hard that I split my FastSkin and can't whomp Stud in the 800 free at zones!
  • Here, Here! Decided I can't just rely on dolphin kick for great turns so I'm finally concentrating on not breathing under the flags. How long does it take to get used to doing flip turns without air going in and air coming out? It about killed me this morning. Shaman, when i was able to do this, I began having huge breakthroughs in my times. Work on your turn itself - speeding it up, and not exhaling so much. Save that air! And force yourself to bite the bullet an keep your head in the water after that turn. Do whole practices that way. Do pushups for every turn you don't. Get in a 15y pool (or diving well) and practice all those turns!
  • depends which event you're swimming breath control is essential in sprints maybe not such a good idea in longer stuff If you're fast and doing sprints you don't need as much air as you think you might you should get used to holding your breath on fast 50's and 100's If you're a fast SDKer, figure out how many kicks you should take off each wall. consider training to take more than you would in a meet Here, Here! Decided I can't just rely on dolphin kick for great turns so I'm finally concentrating on not breathing under the flags. How long does it take to get used to doing flip turns without air going in and air coming out? It about killed me this morning.
  • Former Member
    depends which event you're swimming breath control is essential in sprints maybe not such a good idea in longer stuff If you're fast and doing sprints you don't need as much air as you think you might you should get used to holding your breath on fast 50's and 100's If you're a fast SDKer, figure out how many kicks you should take off each wall. consider training to take more than you would in a meet By "longer stuff" you mean anything longer than 100M?
  • Both in practice and in races. I've been told my stroke is much better when I am breathing bilaterally. Yup, you need to fully engage those new guns you got, Dr. Juicer.
  • Looking ahead to 2008, when I age up. I need to: Lift more weights Fix my stroke--I'm dropping my left elbow Fix my turns--too much splash, pushing off on my side Develop a stronger kick (without fins) Maintain bilateral breathing, esp. on tougher sets That's an ambitious list! I'm dropping my left elbow too. My coach said I only do this when I breathe to the right, not the left. Has your coach noticed when you do it?
  • Former Member
    Bilateral in practice only or in your races as well? Both in practice and in races. I've been told my stroke is much better when I am breathing bilaterally.
  • Former Member
    I'm dropping my left elbow too. My coach said I only do this when I breathe to the right, not the left. Has your coach noticed when you do it? I think I mainly do it when I breathe to the right. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that my left shoulder is the one that I had problems with. It is very helpful having a coach on the deck.
  • Former Member
    I think I mainly do it when I breathe to the right. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that my left shoulder is the one that I had problems with. It is very helpful having a coach on the deck. How are you dropping your elbow? Is it during the catch, as you breath you let your left arm drift down straightenend instead of setting up a vertical forearm catch? If that's the case, I noticed I was doing that when I first started swimming masters. I corrected it by holding my hand out in front just a hair longer before starting the catch and at the same time avoid over rotating to my beathing side. By doing that I was able to get a better catch and load up on the pull with my body rotation. My problem is maintaining good form when I sprint. Somehow I end up swimming with less core rotation and my pull becomes wider than normal. When this happens I feel like I am pushing water instead of slicing through it. How do I fix this? Should I try building a 50? Kevin