Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Parents
  • Hi Emyrold, nice to hear from you 22 is a good starting point get someone to time you with a watch get your time in 10ths of a second tenths matter especially when your rate of improvement slows down you don't need to post your training times just post your test kick, when you blast a 25 kick at the end of each week ande Syd, Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have been drinking a lot of electrolytes, eating pears and banana's and it seemed to help a little. But I think the real improvement may come from strengthening my legs, I have never really focussed on them and this will be the first. Ande, Thanks for your feedback as well. Here are my times from tonight. 25 yard pool, slow lanes 7 and 8 do not have a starting block so I just dove from the side and into a streamline. 22 seconds **but I just have a good dive and streamline. here are some times over a longer period tonight. They are push off the wall, turnover onto my back, streamline and kick to the wall.... 10 x 50 (25 fast kick "timed", 25 easy swim, 30 seconds rest) 1) 28 2) 30 3) 32 4) 30 5) 31 ** extra 60 seconds rest after this one... 6) 28 7) 32 8) 33 9) 32 10) 32 5 x 25 fast kick with 15 second rest 1) 34 2) 35 3) 34 4) 34 5) 36 **done, leg's gone, cramping setting in....
  • Hi Emyrold, nice to hear from you 22 is a good starting point get someone to time you with a watch get your time in 10ths of a second tenths matter especially when your rate of improvement slows down you don't need to post your training times just post your test kick, when you blast a 25 kick at the end of each week ande Syd, Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have been drinking a lot of electrolytes, eating pears and banana's and it seemed to help a little. But I think the real improvement may come from strengthening my legs, I have never really focussed on them and this will be the first. Ande, Thanks for your feedback as well. Here are my times from tonight. 25 yard pool, slow lanes 7 and 8 do not have a starting block so I just dove from the side and into a streamline. 22 seconds **but I just have a good dive and streamline. here are some times over a longer period tonight. They are push off the wall, turnover onto my back, streamline and kick to the wall.... 10 x 50 (25 fast kick "timed", 25 easy swim, 30 seconds rest) 1) 28 2) 30 3) 32 4) 30 5) 31 ** extra 60 seconds rest after this one... 6) 28 7) 32 8) 33 9) 32 10) 32 5 x 25 fast kick with 15 second rest 1) 34 2) 35 3) 34 4) 34 5) 36 **done, leg's gone, cramping setting in....
Children
No Data