Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Parents
  • congratulations syd you're continuing to improve syd's 25 m kick times 10) 09) 08) 07) 06) 05) 04) 03) 02) july 3rd 23.59; SDK 22.29 01) June 28th, 2007 24.10 00) June 20th, 2007 25.84 Ande, you posted: 2) feeling the water with your feet and shins on each kick . I puzzled over this one for a while because I just couldn't feel the water on my shins at all. For the most part my shins were submerged and it was only my foot and occassionally the back of my thigh that broke the surface. Then I realised I had to be in a perfect streamline position for this to happen: arms stretched right out in front, right hand over left, whole body pointing forward, head tucked under the arms and chin touching the chest. This forces the bum up and, all of a sudden, hey presto, the shins cleared the water. Yesterday I did 23.59 for 25m of flutter kick and that was off the wall without a dive. I did 22.29 for the same distance of SDK. Syd
  • congratulations syd you're continuing to improve syd's 25 m kick times 10) 09) 08) 07) 06) 05) 04) 03) 02) july 3rd 23.59; SDK 22.29 01) June 28th, 2007 24.10 00) June 20th, 2007 25.84 Ande, you posted: 2) feeling the water with your feet and shins on each kick . I puzzled over this one for a while because I just couldn't feel the water on my shins at all. For the most part my shins were submerged and it was only my foot and occassionally the back of my thigh that broke the surface. Then I realised I had to be in a perfect streamline position for this to happen: arms stretched right out in front, right hand over left, whole body pointing forward, head tucked under the arms and chin touching the chest. This forces the bum up and, all of a sudden, hey presto, the shins cleared the water. Yesterday I did 23.59 for 25m of flutter kick and that was off the wall without a dive. I did 22.29 for the same distance of SDK. Syd
Children
No Data