Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Thanks Ande. I shall get onto those drills immediately. In fact I am going to the pool in 3 hours time and, already, I can't wait to try. I think I have a better idea now of how to kick i.e. from the hip (not from the knee) & with toes pointed. Is it okay for your legs to cross over when kicking? Quite frankly I have never seen any of the top swimmers do this and it is worrying me. Last week, on Tuesday, I went my whole 500 warm up without crossing my legs over and concentrated on a consistent side by side flutter kick. At first it felt very awkward and upset my entire rhythm. Later it got to feel a bit better but it was exhausting. I tried a sprint 50 with it but it slowed me down horribly. Am I giving up too quickly? Should I just perservere in the hope that I will eventually find the rhythm? Also what are your views on kicking with or without a board. I find holding a board unnatural and when I start swimming again I never kick like that anyway. Or do you still think it worth it to use the board to build up the muscles in the legs? I am glad you don't reccommend fins or "flippers" as I call them. They always give me a false sense of speed and then there is that terrible let down when you take them off and start swimming normally again. Do you not reccommend 'hand paddles' for the same reason? I use the hand paddles and I feel they have helped build up muscle but I don't use flippers and anyway they are not allowed at the pool I swim at. Finally, who in the world of swimming has a really good kick? The part I am most interested in is how to integrate the arm movements with the leg movements. Whose videos can I watch to help me with this? Thorpe, Hackett? I am much more of a visual person and so when people start to talk about hand entry, catch, etc my mind starts to 'mist' over. Thanks for all your help Ande. You are a star. How do you find the time to be a parent, swim train and coach others on the sideline? I am inspired! When you publish that book I will be first in line. Sincerely Syd
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Thanks Ande. I shall get onto those drills immediately. In fact I am going to the pool in 3 hours time and, already, I can't wait to try. I think I have a better idea now of how to kick i.e. from the hip (not from the knee) & with toes pointed. Is it okay for your legs to cross over when kicking? Quite frankly I have never seen any of the top swimmers do this and it is worrying me. Last week, on Tuesday, I went my whole 500 warm up without crossing my legs over and concentrated on a consistent side by side flutter kick. At first it felt very awkward and upset my entire rhythm. Later it got to feel a bit better but it was exhausting. I tried a sprint 50 with it but it slowed me down horribly. Am I giving up too quickly? Should I just perservere in the hope that I will eventually find the rhythm? Also what are your views on kicking with or without a board. I find holding a board unnatural and when I start swimming again I never kick like that anyway. Or do you still think it worth it to use the board to build up the muscles in the legs? I am glad you don't reccommend fins or "flippers" as I call them. They always give me a false sense of speed and then there is that terrible let down when you take them off and start swimming normally again. Do you not reccommend 'hand paddles' for the same reason? I use the hand paddles and I feel they have helped build up muscle but I don't use flippers and anyway they are not allowed at the pool I swim at. Finally, who in the world of swimming has a really good kick? The part I am most interested in is how to integrate the arm movements with the leg movements. Whose videos can I watch to help me with this? Thorpe, Hackett? I am much more of a visual person and so when people start to talk about hand entry, catch, etc my mind starts to 'mist' over. Thanks for all your help Ande. You are a star. How do you find the time to be a parent, swim train and coach others on the sideline? I am inspired! When you publish that book I will be first in line. Sincerely Syd
Children
No Data