Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Parents
  • you asked "How do you breathe?" (when you're doing flutter kick in streamline position, SFK) 1) develop your ability to do an entire length without a breath, without breaking streamline 2) if the above is not possible, here's 2 options take small hand scull up to a half breastroke stroke, breathe then get back in streamline position or drop one arm, keeping the other out front do a freestyle stroke, breathe then resume streamlining you could also flutter kick on your back ande Ande, When flutter kicking without a board, how do you breathe? I find that when I roll to the side to breathe, I lose my momentum. By the time I get to the other end (25y) I'm so out of breath that it takes 30 sec to a minute to recover enough to do another. I seem to do better with the back (obviously), *** and fly kick and don't have any problem breathing when doing those.
  • you asked "How do you breathe?" (when you're doing flutter kick in streamline position, SFK) 1) develop your ability to do an entire length without a breath, without breaking streamline 2) if the above is not possible, here's 2 options take small hand scull up to a half breastroke stroke, breathe then get back in streamline position or drop one arm, keeping the other out front do a freestyle stroke, breathe then resume streamlining you could also flutter kick on your back ande Ande, When flutter kicking without a board, how do you breathe? I find that when I roll to the side to breathe, I lose my momentum. By the time I get to the other end (25y) I'm so out of breath that it takes 30 sec to a minute to recover enough to do another. I seem to do better with the back (obviously), *** and fly kick and don't have any problem breathing when doing those.
Children
No Data