Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!

Former Member
Former Member
I am slow, and when I mean slow, I mean slow. I can do a 26 sec 50 with fins, but without I come in just under 1:20! I think a big part of it is just taking the fins off and doing a lot of kick sets to learn to feel the water better with my feet. I have a good breaststroke kick so I don't think my problem is an overly weak pair of legs, although they could be in better shape. Also, myankles are fairly flexible as I can point my toes and make my feet bend backwards past an even position with my shins. However, I do think that I need to loosen up my ankles when I kick. I feel like I get more out of my kick for those brief moments when I allow my ankles to snap back and forth with my kick. I think I actually need to relax more to kick faster as weird as that sounds. I suppose the answer to my question is that I simply need to take of the fins and do kick set after kick set until I learn to feel the water better with my feet and become more efficient.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I just finished up with a long trial (out of town), so I am just now getting back into my work-out routine. Yesterday, I did a 4 x 50 (yards) kick set with a board (for the first time without fins) on 1:15, holding a 1:06 (coach timed). I was supposed to do 6 sets, but I am just way too out of shape after a month off for trial. I couldn't believe that I was holding those times. I would have never thought I could kick that fast (relatively speaking of course). Now I just have to get this ten pounds of trial weight off of my gut. Thanks again for all of your support and encouragement. It really has helped. Hook'em Blue
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I just finished up with a long trial (out of town), so I am just now getting back into my work-out routine. Yesterday, I did a 4 x 50 (yards) kick set with a board (for the first time without fins) on 1:15, holding a 1:06 (coach timed). I was supposed to do 6 sets, but I am just way too out of shape after a month off for trial. I couldn't believe that I was holding those times. I would have never thought I could kick that fast (relatively speaking of course). Now I just have to get this ten pounds of trial weight off of my gut. Thanks again for all of your support and encouragement. It really has helped. Hook'em Blue
Children
No Data