What do you think of total immersion?

Former Member
Former Member
I just got Total immersion book yesterday. Have read part 1 of the book and just started doing the drills today. It seems an excallent way to swim and definatly will improve my f/s. But i'm a bit weary because it's so comercail. so my question is, Is Total immersion as good a way to swim as it makes out? or is it the best way to learn how to swim? Are there better books out there that teach you how to swim well(properly)? Hope that makes sense Swifty
  • N1ghteyes_13 Craig: I am going to give you a couple of threads to look up in the search section of this forum and then you will see what Husker was refering to about Pandora's Box opening. We can all spare a trip down memory lane regarding this. The threads I am talking about are "Criticism of TI Principals" which has 483 replies and 12603 views by members and vistors to this website. Another thread to read is "Approach To Teaching Competitive Swimming". I am sure your questions will be answered and you will spare us the time to talk about this again.
  • Originally posted by newmastersswimmer Any side bets between you and Gull on this 500 free challenge thing? Just curious, Newmastersswimmer Oh yes, after the drubbing, gull80 will give me his FSII and change his name on this forum to "Smoked by a late bloomin' geek".
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Did you hear that? I think it was Pandora's box opening.......
  • Former Member
    Any side bets between you and Gull on this 500 free challenge thing? Just curious, Newmastersswimmer
  • Former Member
    You are asking for trouble on this thread. The swimming world is split between TI and non TI believers. John Smith
  • Former Member
    Eh? Did I hear you correctly Mister Good/Evil Smith?......Aren't you the one who prides himself on being the MOST controversial thread starter around?.....and even exclaimed that you should win a USMS discussion board award of some kind for that category??......Maybe you're just afraid of a little competition for that award then? Newmastersswimmer
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by newmastersswimmer Any side bets between you and Gull on this 500 free challenge thing? Just curious, Newmastersswimmer I'll bet a few bucks via paypal on that race if anybody is interested! Newmastersswimmer, what about your face off with Raz? When is that going to occur, or did I miss it?
  • Former Member
    TI what is it? Do you mean Tai Chi or Totaly Indecisive?
  • N1ghteyes_13 Craigh and Craighlll: You can read more about TI and the swimmers produced out of the program at the TI webstie and also some more discussion on the USA swimming site, which is linked to this site. There is a thread called Terry Laughlin Enough Already on the USA Swimming website that details the swimmers in the programs that Terry has coached. Rather than rehashing here, you can find the information you are looking for there.
  • There is no better way I have found to try and teach yourself to swim better. The audience is people who are lap swimmers and there last swim instruction was swim lessons when they were 6. They hold themselves out as more than that but really, that's who it is for. That said, with a little thought in your practice the book and principles will get you 85 to 90% of the way there. Then once you are a pretty good swimmer you can bicker about the last 10%. There is no other resource setup like it with systematic explanation of swimming written for the person looking to teach himself.