Dropping my lead arm on my breath In freestyle...Please HELP

I know there is an article in the current November/December SWIMMER Magazine about this topic. I am taking swimming lessons for about (6) months with a great coach! But I am struggling with this specific issue. Can you recommend any dry land exercises OR specific drills I can do to help me get this issue into my DNA? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have been swimming the wrong way for a long time and I am trying to break this specific BAD habit!

Jack

Parents
  • I looked at the article, and understand a little better what you’re talking about. In that section, “Mistake 3: Dropping Your Lead Arm on Your Breath” it does sort of outline a drill to help overcome this problem. I don’t swim pool workouts with groups a lot, but when I have, there is usually a drill assigned as part of the workout that sounds very similar to what the article is describing, and is designed to overcome this problem. I can’t remember what the drill is officially called other than “Reach.” But it’s essentially swimming very slow, and methodically, almost ‘robot-like’ if you get my meaning. You’re really just stroking one are at a time, concentrating on each phase of the stroke. And after your catch (reaching your hand/arm forward) you sort of wait to begin your pull until you consciously finish with the other arm. Maybe I haven’t explained it well. But the key is to swim slow, and methodically, and concentrate on doing each phase of the entire stroke properly. I hope that helps. — Dan

• Thanks Dan I will give it a shot and work at it!

Reply Children
No Data