USRPT vindicated?

Michael Andrews made the Olympic team using USRPT (although a coach says he heard that wasn't exclusive anymore)

Also, is this the first thread started about Trials?

• I gotta admit, it is telling seeing him throw out anchors for the last quarter of everything.  I can't help but wonder how a guy with his height advantage may fare if he incorporated some training to improve his stamina.  Most of the workouts I do have similar philosophies, and when I do test swims, I'm dead by te last quarter of a race (e.g. I swim 25's at pace of stroke, and I'm dead after 75 yards).  I've been assuming it was because my training tends to be less consistent than I'd like.  I think, like most things, USRPT is probably one tool, not a silver bullet.

•  Andrews doesn't seem to get faster between prelims and finals. I wonder how much USRPT having no significant taper makes a difference. I also wonder if some of the problem is, he has been a pro since age 14 and did not go through College swimming. NCAA championships are a pressure cooker that gives a lot of experience in dealing with big meets. 

• The folks over at SwimSwam are just being brutal to MA. To be fair, that was an ugly last 15m or so in the 200 IM final but still. I think there is more than a little schadenfreude at his result due to politics or dislike for the family or whatever. But it is not at all so clear to me (as it is to many of the people there) that USRPT cannot produce a 200 swimmer.

His times in the 200 IM were podium-worthy. Yes he didn’t do those times inTokyo but he is hardly the only person to add time to his Trials time.

I do not know enough about the swimmers that USRPT produces to know if his (terrible) 200 IM race strategy is specific to him. If there is IMO one component missing from his swimming, it is not strength, speed or endurance, it is pacing. Is hs incapable of doing a controlled fast first 100 in a 200? (That’s an honest question.) If so, is that a fault of USRPT for not emphasizing pacing work? After all “pacing work” is a form of race-pace training.

IMO producing a strong last 50 is a matter of not practicing the desired pace on that 50, it is a matter of practicing a more controlled first 150. If he had enough in the tank he would be able to bring it home. IMO it is not a physiological problem, it is clear (to me at least) that he has the capability of winning Olympic gold if he swam a smarter race. But no one can sprint a 200 from start to finish, and I was 99% sure that the other top swimmers would be able to capitalize on his poor race strategy.

• Maybe, but after his presser, it is pretty obvious he is too arrogant to heed advice from others.  My daughter said last night, after saying she didn't like him (which I hadn't realized until then) that 'He has a stick up his butt."  I had been leery, and thought maybe the arrogance was limited to his father. But no, he is a spoiled little brat, and frankly, I'm embarrassed that he represents our country.  Have no idea what his politics are, but he obviously thinks that rules meant for the health of the group do not apply to him.  As for the excuse that he is quarantined or whatever......the medal favotire pole valuter just got sent him for being COVID positive, so.........