USRPT vindicated?

Michael Andrews made the Olympic team using USRPT (although a coach says he heard that wasn't exclusive anymore)

Also, is this the first thread started about Trials?

Parents
  • I think the label "USRPT" label is over-used and dumb.  If you hear most coaches talk about their training programs these days, they emphasize race-pace training, whether it's ultra-short or not.  Even Ledecky talks about doing a lot of pace 100s for her 1500, whereas, back in the 80s, us distance swimmers did a lot of 500s, 1000s, 3000s at much slower than race-pace.

My contention is that EVERY swimmer who made the Olympic Team (and, more broadly, Olympic Trials) is focused on race-pace training.

• I do race pace oriented workouts and occasional USRPT sets, but I am not a USRPT swimmer. Real USRPT is very consistent and very regimented. Almost every elite is doing race pace, Michael Andrews is the only USRPT swimmer I know of to make the Olympics

• Michael Andrew only problem is in the last 50 of the 200 Im not certain is because he goes out too fast or USRPT is not as good for 200's..

• His time at the Trials would have won a silver medal in the last olympics. He’s just a really good short axis swimmer which sets him up real good early on in the race. His breaststroke is a huge advantage for him.

• His time at the Trials would have won a silver medal in the last olympics. He’s just a really good short axis swimmer which sets him up real good early on in the race. His breaststroke is a huge advantage for him.

Children
  • It is hard to argue that he is not a good freestyler since he qualified in the 50 free.

Yes it sounds weird to say this about such a great swim but I can’t help but think it is an issue of sub-optimal pacing. Whether that is an issue of USRPT or not I couldn’t say.

• Phelps had some interesting and insightful commentary. As I recall he was not convinced that MA would be faster overall in the 2IM is he backed off on the front half because his training is so focused on very fast paced swimming. He thought that the best strategy for MA was to continue with his current strategy because that's the way he swims the race and that's what has worked for him. 

It does seem kinda hard to argue with a 1:55. You can count on one hand the number of people who have ever been that fast,

• We’ll find out soon enough!