USRPT vindicated?

Michael Andrews made the Olympic team using USRPT (although a coach says he heard that wasn't exclusive anymore)

Also, is this the first thread started about Trials?

Parents
  • I think the label "USRPT" label is over-used and dumb.  If you hear most coaches talk about their training programs these days, they emphasize race-pace training, whether it's ultra-short or not.  Even Ledecky talks about doing a lot of pace 100s for her 1500, whereas, back in the 80s, us distance swimmers did a lot of 500s, 1000s, 3000s at much slower than race-pace.

My contention is that EVERY swimmer who made the Olympic Team (and, more broadly, Olympic Trials) is focused on race-pace training.

• I think the label "USRPT" label is over-used and dumb.  If you hear most coaches talk about their training programs these days, they emphasize race-pace training, whether it's ultra-short or not.  Even Ledecky talks about doing a lot of pace 100s for her 1500, whereas, back in the 80s, us distance swimmers did a lot of 500s, 1000s, 3000s at much slower than race-pace.

My contention is that EVERY swimmer who made the Olympic Team (and, more broadly, Olympic Trials) is focused on race-pace training.

Children