Swimming with a cold

Former Member
Former Member
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim. Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested. Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances? Marian
Parents
  • I have a cold and I am ticked. I came down with it three days ago. I could feel it during that day's practice, but I was able to make my sets. I decided to take Friday and Saturday off because I feel lethargic, and here it is Sunday. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do and I am getting frustrated thinking this cold will set me back mentally and physically. Each deep breath results in a cough. I can't swim like that right? Seems like if you lose 3-4 days in the pool, you might as well miss a month. The same thing happened to me recently. My only "good news" is that after I'd decided I wasn't up for my open water swim, it got canceled anyway. If you are still coughing when you take deep breaths, I would not do the mile swim. At best it will be extremely unpleasant. I sympathize. :(
  • I have a cold and I am ticked. I came down with it three days ago. I could feel it during that day's practice, but I was able to make my sets. I decided to take Friday and Saturday off because I feel lethargic, and here it is Sunday. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do and I am getting frustrated thinking this cold will set me back mentally and physically. Each deep breath results in a cough. I can't swim like that right? Seems like if you lose 3-4 days in the pool, you might as well miss a month. The same thing happened to me recently. My only "good news" is that after I'd decided I wasn't up for my open water swim, it got canceled anyway. If you are still coughing when you take deep breaths, I would not do the mile swim. At best it will be extremely unpleasant. I sympathize. :(
Children
No Data