What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine! :rolleyes:
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Similarly, there is the type of swimmer that is 10 seconds slower. As I come up behind them to lap them, they suddenly try to pick up their pace to hold me off. If I pick it up, they start sprinting. They're gonna hurt themselves! Maybe they can hold me off for a length or two, but as soon as I break ahead of them, they fall off like an autumn leaf, and 3 minutes later we're back to the same game when it's time to lap them again. (People on the highways do this too...) Yes, that is an interesting phenomenon about people....If you've already lapped them on several occassions then it seems that they would stop this kind of routine eventually....but many do not....very strange but none-the-less fairly common behavior OR - they don't give you the general five seconds before pushing off (they wait just one or two) and then they ride your toes the rest of the way. Ah yes....the "drafters".....This can also be compared to highway behavior (like Guvnah pointed out about his pet peeve that I quoted above)......I have drafted behind 18 wheelers on long trips before thinking that it would save me a little gas in the long run.....I don't do that anymore b/c I am older (and perhaps a little wiser and realize the potential danger in doing this). Everybody wants to draft off of somebody to make them do all of the work.....Well at least if someone is drafting off of you than your getting a little extra workout by dragging them along while also dragging yourself along too!....But yes, I hate that as well!!....(See Justforfun's first poem on the poetry thread where he also refers to this annoyance). newmastersswimmer
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Similarly, there is the type of swimmer that is 10 seconds slower. As I come up behind them to lap them, they suddenly try to pick up their pace to hold me off. If I pick it up, they start sprinting. They're gonna hurt themselves! Maybe they can hold me off for a length or two, but as soon as I break ahead of them, they fall off like an autumn leaf, and 3 minutes later we're back to the same game when it's time to lap them again. (People on the highways do this too...) Yes, that is an interesting phenomenon about people....If you've already lapped them on several occassions then it seems that they would stop this kind of routine eventually....but many do not....very strange but none-the-less fairly common behavior OR - they don't give you the general five seconds before pushing off (they wait just one or two) and then they ride your toes the rest of the way. Ah yes....the "drafters".....This can also be compared to highway behavior (like Guvnah pointed out about his pet peeve that I quoted above)......I have drafted behind 18 wheelers on long trips before thinking that it would save me a little gas in the long run.....I don't do that anymore b/c I am older (and perhaps a little wiser and realize the potential danger in doing this). Everybody wants to draft off of somebody to make them do all of the work.....Well at least if someone is drafting off of you than your getting a little extra workout by dragging them along while also dragging yourself along too!....But yes, I hate that as well!!....(See Justforfun's first poem on the poetry thread where he also refers to this annoyance). newmastersswimmer
Children
No Data