USA Swimming under federal investigation.

I just found this in my AOL feed this morning: www.aol.com/.../ :censor:
  • U S A swimming - are they just fishing for dirt or do they really have evidence?
  • ...and I lost my 12 year old flip phone in Albuquerque in June... Haven't replaced it and am getting along just fine!
  • ...and I lost my 12 year old flip phone in Albuquerque in June... Haven't replaced it and am getting along just fine! My husband (same age as you) doesn't even have a cell phone, nor does he want one. One of the only reasons I have a cell phone is to accept credit card payments with Square at craft shows. (My husband makes fused glass jewelry has his retirement hobby business.) Back to the thread, Orca, the allegations run pretty wide and deep. Between the sexual abuse and financial cover-ups, it doesn't look good for USA Swimming.
  • I just found this in my AOL feed this morning: www.aol.com/.../ :censor: Wow! AOL is still around? :lolup:
  • Wow! AOL is still around? :lolup: Yeah, I'm a dinosaur at 57. I hung onto my address all this time, because I didn't want to hassle changing my e-mail address with everybody, especially online accounts (utility companies, etc.). The only people who still use AOL are probably all older than me! :cane: We'll all eventually die off, and then you can put the final nail in AOL's coffin.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Looks like the investigation is not just about covering up sexual abuse, but includes possible fraudulent misrepresentations to accusers and serious financial fraud as well. Pretty weird if its true. They're innocent until proven guilty and the investigation is just starting; it will be while before there are any indictments, formal charges, or trial. It wouldn't surprise me: a large organization would rather protect itself, and its money. We've seen it with the Boy Scouts, the Catholic Church, private prep schools, etc. Those were protecting their image instead of properly addressing allegations of abuse and predators within the organization.
  • Looks like the investigation is not just about covering up sexual abuse, but includes possible fraudulent misrepresentations to accusers and serious financial fraud as well. Pretty weird if its true. They're innocent until proven guilty and the investigation is just starting; it will be while before there are any indictments, formal charges, or trial. And, a few years back, Verizon unloaded its email hosting business to AOL. You could keep your old Verizon email address but had to transfer the incoming/outgoing mail servers to AOL. The AOL hosting is in the background and you only see it if you log in to your email thru the AOL internet mail service.
  • I just found this in my AOL feed this morning: www.aol.com/.../ :censor: People tend to gawk at me when I give them my AOL email address. Glad that I'm not alone. lol
  • People tend to gawk at me when I give them my AOL email address. Glad that I'm not alone. lol Yeah, I hear ya. King Frog, do you get comments about your AOL address, too? We are all dinosaurs, I guess!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I am totally not surprised. I grew up and swam in a small town and the families camped or stayed with our mom mainly in motels or just drove home after the meets. We never really had the senior style swimming when the HS swimmers had separate workouts, coaches, and five day meets. ( We only had seasonal HS swimming once we got that age. ) So I was surprised as a mother of grade school kids talking to a mother my age originally from Chicago at a music camp. She said her kids would never swim like that as the coaches were pursuing relationships and traveled with the teens and she said the parents had no clue what was going on at the hotels..I was horrified as my own experience was so family oriented... but keeping that in mind when my daughter about 12myears,old, late 90s, got an abusive coach who hit them in practice. And he was the hs science teacher! I tried,to pull my daughter out but the head coach got really defensive and wouldnt give her a different coach..so she finished a couple more months with strict orders he couldnt touch the kids. The parents werent allowed to watch,so I didnt know. But I didn't put up with that, and I wanted my daughter to know immediately that was not ok behavior. I guess the coach had been working up to this over a few years, a lot of kids had quit swimming, but new ones kept coming so no one cared... I called the local USS and they said there was no code of conduct for coaches either locally or nationally... because the coaches refused to vote for it at the national meetings!...the other staff thought it was very surprising that a simple code of conduct couldn't be enacted, considering you are dealing with children.and that was that. I dont know why they gave the coaches all the power in the national swim association, that was stupid.. The local rep was sympathetic but her hands were tied. Anyway we just changed teams to a more family oriented, open practices, nice coaches and never looked back. She swam in college, and does lots of sports now.....The former coach was encouraged to choose a different career, he did, but I heard he has 4 kids now, which makes my skin crawl..