Have you ever swam a Masters National meet?

I know this is not the national forum spacebar, I want to thank everyone that work & timed & ran the 4 day meet. If you have never been to a National meet, you are missing something from your swimming life! I swam 6 individual events & 2 relays that taught me how to accept my age & speed both going up! The comradeship of my fellow swimmers raised my expectations of my dropping self esteem to help me. Many of the swimmers i did not know but, they cheered me on anyhow!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Just got back from Mesa. I would say this- it was a truly wonderful experience. YES there were challenges- warm ups were crowded, it was unseasonably hot, the days were long and it required time away from work/family. I doubted whether it was "worth it" it to go- critiquing my speed, my training efforts and the use of family resources for something like this as an adult. I was so wrong! I realized the second I watched the first few races that this isn't about any of the same things as big meets as a college or age group athlete. People were focused on performance and surely we all LOVE to compete- but it was so social, so positive, so laid back, so diverse. The energy was positive despite the soul crushing heat/sun and it was really fun to see everyone swim so fast. I didn't feel at all silly for wearing a tech suit or caring about my times as a 36yo who is struggling to get back in shape- I felt glad that I had invested in the trip and made the effort. The officials, coaches and supporters were so sweet. I can't believe the endless water coolers filled, times recorded... such a BIG event. Lots of cool sponsors and teams with big showings. It was so much fun. I am already DYING to figure out when I can do this again!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Just got back from Mesa. I would say this- it was a truly wonderful experience. YES there were challenges- warm ups were crowded, it was unseasonably hot, the days were long and it required time away from work/family. I doubted whether it was "worth it" it to go- critiquing my speed, my training efforts and the use of family resources for something like this as an adult. I was so wrong! I realized the second I watched the first few races that this isn't about any of the same things as big meets as a college or age group athlete. People were focused on performance and surely we all LOVE to compete- but it was so social, so positive, so laid back, so diverse. The energy was positive despite the soul crushing heat/sun and it was really fun to see everyone swim so fast. I didn't feel at all silly for wearing a tech suit or caring about my times as a 36yo who is struggling to get back in shape- I felt glad that I had invested in the trip and made the effort. The officials, coaches and supporters were so sweet. I can't believe the endless water coolers filled, times recorded... such a BIG event. Lots of cool sponsors and teams with big showings. It was so much fun. I am already DYING to figure out when I can do this again!
Children
No Data