Ethics, Sportsmanship, and the Quest for High Point

A quick question for all of you: Our state meet is taking place this weekend. The meet entries were cut off last Sunday at 6p.m. The psych sheet was available mid-Monday. About 24 hours later, one of our swimmers found a way to get herself into the meet, despite there being a very strict stipulation regarding no late entries. She "conveniently" put herself in races where she would place first place without a doubt. In two of the races, she actually knocked her fellow teammates down from first place to second. Keep in mind that this is not the first time this person has done this, and it should be noted that she repeatedly stated her goal to get "high point" at the meet. According to numerous conversations, she knew she had "missed" the deadline, but failed to seek entry until AFTER the psych sheet came out. When our coach was notified of this, his reaction was basically, "It's just your time that counts, so I wouldn't worry about points." However, this obviously affects not only the swimmers on her team who were screwed, but other swimmers and other teams who may also be trying to get high point status. Am I wrong in thinking that this is deceptive at best, and a very clever and manipulative use of a loophole that allows a swimmer to have a very unfair advantage? Is this what USMS has become - winning at any cost? Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?
Parents
  • I understand hard deadlines and believe hard deadlines should be enforced. However, in this instance they weren't. If an accommodation is to be allowed, it should come with the caveat that those entered after the deadline are ineligible for awards. USMS is all about being inclusive (and I believe in it too), but Nationals deadlines are hard deadlines so there is a limit.
  • I understand hard deadlines and believe hard deadlines should be enforced. However, in this instance they weren't. If an accommodation is to be allowed, it should come with the caveat that those entered after the deadline are ineligible for awards. USMS is all about being inclusive (and I believe in it too), but Nationals deadlines are hard deadlines so there is a limit.
Children
No Data