200m Individual Medley times

Former Member
Former Member
I am an amateur swimmer and have started swimming in the pool 2.5 years ago. I enjoy all strokes and swim IM. This last year i have trained hard and got to this time a week ago 2:41 200m im (25m pool). What would it take to catch ~ 2:25 ? What are the advanced techniques for an IM-er? I get a bit tired in the first 50m of butterfly and suffer a bit the backstroke exhaling part underwater.
Parents
  • Welcome to the forum! Great to hear that not only have you become devoted to improving in swimming, but that you're also interested in the IM! The 200 IM is an event where you have many chances to improve because there are so many areas you can work on and refine. One of the ways you can get a faster rate of improvement is to work with a coach who specializes in stroke technique. The coach will be able to identify areas of weakness and help you design workouts that will target those areas, which will result in much greater improvement overall over time. Beyond working with a coach, I would advise that you try to focus more on your weaker strokes. Based on your splits alone, it seems like backstroke and freestyle might need the most work - but the best way to determine this would be to see videos of your stroke. In workouts, you can work on sets that combine two strokes, and/or do drills that combine several strokes (for example, breaststroke pull dolphin kick) to get the most out of your training. The distances you swim can also play a role in improvement - for example, if you train in a 50m pool or a 25yd pool, you can adjust your yardage and workouts to work on developing endurance and conditioning. You can also feel free to post short video clips of your strokes here on the forum for additional advice from this great group! Good luck!
  • Welcome to the forum! Great to hear that not only have you become devoted to improving in swimming, but that you're also interested in the IM! The 200 IM is an event where you have many chances to improve because there are so many areas you can work on and refine. One of the ways you can get a faster rate of improvement is to work with a coach who specializes in stroke technique. The coach will be able to identify areas of weakness and help you design workouts that will target those areas, which will result in much greater improvement overall over time. Beyond working with a coach, I would advise that you try to focus more on your weaker strokes. Based on your splits alone, it seems like backstroke and freestyle might need the most work - but the best way to determine this would be to see videos of your stroke. In workouts, you can work on sets that combine two strokes, and/or do drills that combine several strokes (for example, breaststroke pull dolphin kick) to get the most out of your training. The distances you swim can also play a role in improvement - for example, if you train in a 50m pool or a 25yd pool, you can adjust your yardage and workouts to work on developing endurance and conditioning. You can also feel free to post short video clips of your strokes here on the forum for additional advice from this great group! Good luck!
Children
No Data