Predicting longer distance times from shorter.

I swam in a non-santioned meet Sunday (short course meters). I did a 25 *** in 17.63, and in the 50 a 39.71. Given my 25 time, should my 50 time be better? The 25 has almost no aerobic demand. I always heard multiply by 2.2, which would equate to 38.786. Both races had decent starts and I thought I did a pretty good turn on the 50. I guess the real question I am asking is if this likely has to do with not being conditioned enough to swim a faster 50. Clarification: These were separate races...the 25 time was NOT a split for the 50.
  • It is very much up to the individual. Strokes are different, too. I recently looked at teh qualification standards for our LSC. Senior boys' 200's are 2.17 times the 100 time for free, back, and ***, and 2.25 times the 100 for fly. But you have folks who are distance swimmers and folks who are sprinters, so it is really difficult for any one individual to extrapolate about themself. You are also forgetting that you get a HUGE advantage off of the block.
  • How much time did you have between events? What kind of a warm-up did you do before the meet, and warm-up/warm-down between events? Did you swim anything else that day?
  • I swam 25 free and 50 free, in that order, about 10 mins apart. Then about an hour break. Then swam 25 and 50 *** the same way...with about a ten minute break. I swam about a 400 warmup before the meet and cooled down during the long break, but not between the 25s and 50s.
  • If the first 25 of the 50 was about the same as the 25 there is nearly a 4.5 sec difference between the first and second 25s. That seems like a lot. It generally shouldn't be much over 2 sec. It could be a conditioning problem.
  • Have you done a 100 swim to see where that would be in time?
  • Only 100 free. My 50-meter free time is usually around 30.7-31.5 for SCM and my best (masters' time) 100 meter is 1:10.90. In yards, I am typically in the 28.0-28.5 range and I did 1:03.59. I think in both cases, I could do better on the 100s with better training. Haven't done 100 *** yet, although as a youth, that's pretty much all I did.
  • According to Ed Nessel, (Cullen Jones' coach): for FR, with very good conditioning and proper splitting, the best possible 100 should be about 2*(best possible 50) + 3.5s. That assumes the first 50 is your best 50 time + 1s and the second 50 is 1.5s slower than the first. If your 50 is 31.0, the best 100 you could expect with good conditioning and good splitting is 1:05.5. For a 200, double the 100 and add 11s. These work quite well for fr, bk and br. fly typically has more fade.
  • BB58 Keep at . You seem to have areal grasp of what it takes to lower you times.