When to think about joining Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm new to swimming as far as proper stroke technique goes. Learned how to swim as a kid, though. I'm currently taking the Stroke Introduction (Stage 4) class at the local YMCA. Figured it would be good to start with the basics and build up with a solid foundation from there. There are still two other class levels after Stage 4. Should I wait until I've maxed out of all YMCA offered levels before looking at joining the local Masters program?
Parents
  • I think you are on the right track, and as flystorms said, you 'll be surprised at how much progress you can make in a month, if you stick to it. Getting technique down is so very important. Take your time and build your base from 1 or 2 days per week to 3 days and up increasing the no. of laps. Try out the masters team when you feel up for it. Butterfly is the toughest of the strokes to master - it takes more strength and timed movements. When you're ready to start flying get some coaching and try out some short swim fins to help with the kick, breathing, speed, and body position and motion. You've done the hard part and rest will come, including the breathing.
  • I think you are on the right track, and as flystorms said, you 'll be surprised at how much progress you can make in a month, if you stick to it. Getting technique down is so very important. Take your time and build your base from 1 or 2 days per week to 3 days and up increasing the no. of laps. Try out the masters team when you feel up for it. Butterfly is the toughest of the strokes to master - it takes more strength and timed movements. When you're ready to start flying get some coaching and try out some short swim fins to help with the kick, breathing, speed, and body position and motion. You've done the hard part and rest will come, including the breathing.
Children
No Data