When to think about joining Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm new to swimming as far as proper stroke technique goes. Learned how to swim as a kid, though. I'm currently taking the Stroke Introduction (Stage 4) class at the local YMCA. Figured it would be good to start with the basics and build up with a solid foundation from there. There are still two other class levels after Stage 4. Should I wait until I've maxed out of all YMCA offered levels before looking at joining the local Masters program?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll ask my lesson instructor on Tuesday if she's familiar with how the Masters program is at our Y as far as allowing for slower/newer/weaker swimmers. If she doesn't know, I'll seek out someone with the program. I'm mostly looking for a way to supplement my once a week lesson, but for now I can probably just go swim by myself and practice what we've been working on in class (drug my husband along with me today). My biggest issues besides sloppy technique and not even knowing how to do butterfly yet, are that as a kid I held my breath rather than exhaling underwater so I'm working on fixing that so I don't get so out of breath. At this point I'm only swimming 25-50 meters continuously, and then I'll stop for a quick break before going again. I'm not sure if I could go farther, especially if I slowed down? So far in class we've never done more than 50m b/c we're focused on stroke technique. I also have issues with pacing myself; have the same problem in running. So far we've worked on freestyle and breaststroke in the class. I had H take video of me today towards the end when I was tired and a medium, relaxed breaststroke (for me) takes me 00:35 for 25m; freestyle was 00:27. I had no concept of what I looked like or how fast/slow I'm swimming so it was interesting to see. Humbling for sure. lol
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll ask my lesson instructor on Tuesday if she's familiar with how the Masters program is at our Y as far as allowing for slower/newer/weaker swimmers. If she doesn't know, I'll seek out someone with the program. I'm mostly looking for a way to supplement my once a week lesson, but for now I can probably just go swim by myself and practice what we've been working on in class (drug my husband along with me today). My biggest issues besides sloppy technique and not even knowing how to do butterfly yet, are that as a kid I held my breath rather than exhaling underwater so I'm working on fixing that so I don't get so out of breath. At this point I'm only swimming 25-50 meters continuously, and then I'll stop for a quick break before going again. I'm not sure if I could go farther, especially if I slowed down? So far in class we've never done more than 50m b/c we're focused on stroke technique. I also have issues with pacing myself; have the same problem in running. So far we've worked on freestyle and breaststroke in the class. I had H take video of me today towards the end when I was tired and a medium, relaxed breaststroke (for me) takes me 00:35 for 25m; freestyle was 00:27. I had no concept of what I looked like or how fast/slow I'm swimming so it was interesting to see. Humbling for sure. lol
Children
No Data