When to think about joining Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm new to swimming as far as proper stroke technique goes. Learned how to swim as a kid, though. I'm currently taking the Stroke Introduction (Stage 4) class at the local YMCA. Figured it would be good to start with the basics and build up with a solid foundation from there. There are still two other class levels after Stage 4. Should I wait until I've maxed out of all YMCA offered levels before looking at joining the local Masters program?
Parents
  • Definitely check with the coach or try it out. Each masters club is different. The one I swim with, there is a lane where you can literally just bob up and down in. I've visited a masters team while at Chicago where every lane was pretty "advanced". Before I joined my team, I was swimming 3 days a week for 30 min. Zero flip turns, only freestyle, and at most 100m straight swimming. So yes, I started out in that you-can-just-bob-up-and-down lane the first week I started masters.
  • Definitely check with the coach or try it out. Each masters club is different. The one I swim with, there is a lane where you can literally just bob up and down in. I've visited a masters team while at Chicago where every lane was pretty "advanced". Before I joined my team, I was swimming 3 days a week for 30 min. Zero flip turns, only freestyle, and at most 100m straight swimming. So yes, I started out in that you-can-just-bob-up-and-down lane the first week I started masters.
Children
No Data