When to think about joining Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm new to swimming as far as proper stroke technique goes. Learned how to swim as a kid, though. I'm currently taking the Stroke Introduction (Stage 4) class at the local YMCA. Figured it would be good to start with the basics and build up with a solid foundation from there. There are still two other class levels after Stage 4. Should I wait until I've maxed out of all YMCA offered levels before looking at joining the local Masters program?
Parents
  • Joining usms for a year is fairly inexpensive ($30 or $35 as I recall) and among other things this gets you within usms for insurance purposes. You can then "drop in" at many usms clubs' practices in your area to see which you like before joining the club (club payments for coaching and pool time are separate from usms membership). Some clubs have a drop in fee for a single occassion, but many club coaches will let you try out a few practices for free if you think you might join the club. Pretty much all clubs have a progressive system for swimmers ranging in speed and ability i.e., some slower lanes, moderate lanes, faster lanes and a few even have lanes and practices for elite swimmers. If you are just learning to swim from scratch a masters team might not be the right spot for beginning. If this is the case, look for a USMS or YMCA adult learn to swim program before trying a club team . But, if you can get up and down the pool, say 10 to 20 times, and want to improve quickly, starting in the slower lane in a club practice session a couple of times per week (or more) is a great way to get going, because you are in with other swimmers and that helps motivation a lot. You don't even have to do the whole practice starting out, just do what you can a build from there. You'll be shocked at how fast you improve and how much fun it is. Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing how you make out.
  • Joining usms for a year is fairly inexpensive ($30 or $35 as I recall) and among other things this gets you within usms for insurance purposes. You can then "drop in" at many usms clubs' practices in your area to see which you like before joining the club (club payments for coaching and pool time are separate from usms membership). Some clubs have a drop in fee for a single occassion, but many club coaches will let you try out a few practices for free if you think you might join the club. Pretty much all clubs have a progressive system for swimmers ranging in speed and ability i.e., some slower lanes, moderate lanes, faster lanes and a few even have lanes and practices for elite swimmers. If you are just learning to swim from scratch a masters team might not be the right spot for beginning. If this is the case, look for a USMS or YMCA adult learn to swim program before trying a club team . But, if you can get up and down the pool, say 10 to 20 times, and want to improve quickly, starting in the slower lane in a club practice session a couple of times per week (or more) is a great way to get going, because you are in with other swimmers and that helps motivation a lot. You don't even have to do the whole practice starting out, just do what you can a build from there. You'll be shocked at how fast you improve and how much fun it is. Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing how you make out.
Children
No Data