I don’t know how to flip turn for backstroke! Help!

Former Member
Former Member
I just started training for a senior olympics backstroke event and I’m chicken to flip turn! I’ve watched the YouTube videos I’ve tried a couple of times but not good at it! What are the secrets and how do I turn if I don’t flip turn?
Parents
  • I have the opposite problem. I can't touch the wall while I'm still on my back. I have this huge fear of getting hurt. I don't do it gracefully, but I always turn to my front before approaching the wall. Which is most probably why I could never do a backstroke event. Well, never say never, so maybe not anytime soon. Are you having problems doing the flip turn itself or streamlining on your back after the flip? Took my a while to get used to that part. I still have to blow out some air from my nose when I do it and I always feel like I am running out of air before I reach the surface.
  • I have the opposite problem. I can't touch the wall while I'm still on my back. I have this huge fear of getting hurt. I don't do it gracefully, but I always turn to my front before approaching the wall. Which is most probably why I could never do a backstroke event. Well, never say never, so maybe not anytime soon. Are you having problems doing the flip turn itself or streamlining on your back after the flip? Took my a while to get used to that part. I still have to blow out some air from my nose when I do it and I always feel like I am running out of air before I reach the surface.
Children
No Data