I don’t know how to flip turn for backstroke! Help!

Former Member
Former Member
I just started training for a senior olympics backstroke event and I’m chicken to flip turn! I’ve watched the YouTube videos I’ve tried a couple of times but not good at it! What are the secrets and how do I turn if I don’t flip turn?
Parents
  • I wish I could do any sort of flip turn. I only started swimming seriously at age 68 (I'm now 70) and whenever I see those online videos, I think, no way my old joints are going to bend like that. I cannot go into a tuck, I have spinal issues. I tried it once or twice to no avail. Merely got water up my nose. Maybe it needs a lot more practice. One difficulty I have with backstroke is that sometimes I take 6 strokes from the flags before a touch, and sometimes 7. I'm simply not that consistent. Can I rotate and face the wall in the final stroke? Then how do I kick off to return to backstroke? Anybody have a video of that?
  • I wish I could do any sort of flip turn. I only started swimming seriously at age 68 (I'm now 70) and whenever I see those online videos, I think, no way my old joints are going to bend like that. I cannot go into a tuck, I have spinal issues. I tried it once or twice to no avail. Merely got water up my nose. Maybe it needs a lot more practice. One difficulty I have with backstroke is that sometimes I take 6 strokes from the flags before a touch, and sometimes 7. I'm simply not that consistent. Can I rotate and face the wall in the final stroke? Then how do I kick off to return to backstroke? Anybody have a video of that?
Children
No Data