Swim tourism town - natural bodies of water plus pools

I got a question from someone looking for somewhere beautiful to swim in June - clean water, no noise, no strange creatures and within a 3-4 hour flight from Toronto. I recommended Austin, Texas. Where else would you recommend?
  • Austin is a great suggestion. What about the Pensacola or Ft Walton Beach area?
  • What about the Pensacola or Ft Walton Beach area?Thanks for the suggestion. I was last in Pensacola in about 1987, so I only remember the beach, which I loved. Do you know if there are lakes / other 'open water' options beyond the Gulf itself?
  • Norris Lake in East Tennessee is pretty hard to beat. Knoxville isn't the biggest airport around, so it may be hard to get there in a few hours. But the water is clear enough to see a good 20 feet deep, probably more.
  • Holland, Michigan could be interesting. The city has a nice 50 meter indoor pool and there are the beautiful Lake Michigan beaches for open water. The water is likely to still be pretty cold in June, though. Holland is less than an hour's drive from Gerald Ford Airport (GRR) in Grand Rapids. hollandaquaticcenter.org/
  • ...there are the beautiful Lake Michigan beaches for open water. The water is likely to still be pretty cold in June, though. Yea, it's June that is the challenge. A couple of years ago I wast at Sleeping Bear Dunes on the east shore of Lake Michigan. The water was crystal clear and I had a lovely time swimming just off the beach parallel to the shore. In June though, brrrrr.
  • Norris Lake in East Tennessee is pretty hard to beat. Knoxville isn't the biggest airport around, so it may be hard to get there in a few hours. But the water is clear enough to see a good 20 feet deep, probably more.Thanks for the tip. I will share that!