Does your swim coach....

Former Member
Former Member
...swim at all for themself? Obviously a question for those who have coaches. Odd question maybe, but I’m genuinely curious.
Parents
  • No one is gonna like me saying this, but most masters athletes are not burning anywhere near the calories they think they are. Most are probably burning 200-250 calories per hour max. To burn the kind of calories the olympians report, you have to be running your heart rate in the 165-180 range for the better part of 2 hours in each practice where they are covering 16-20,000 yards/day. I've wondered about this quite a bit recently. The workout computer on the stationary bike at the gym reports that I burn ~320 calories in half-hour session. I wonder how accurate this is. (Multiple bikes produce similar results.) That would translate to well over 600 calories per hour, which is a lot if the chart on the wall that compares the calorie consumption rate of various activities can be believed. It "feel like" I work harder than that in most pool workouts, but a calorie consumption rate >600/hour doesn't sound believable. Of course I do take set breaks during a 80-90 minute swim workout so I'm not running at that rate 100% of the time, but in a 90 minute workout at least some days I would be running hot for 75-80 minutes. Of course it has been months since I have been able to do this on account of life getting in the way... grrrrrr.
  • No one is gonna like me saying this, but most masters athletes are not burning anywhere near the calories they think they are. Most are probably burning 200-250 calories per hour max. To burn the kind of calories the olympians report, you have to be running your heart rate in the 165-180 range for the better part of 2 hours in each practice where they are covering 16-20,000 yards/day. I've wondered about this quite a bit recently. The workout computer on the stationary bike at the gym reports that I burn ~320 calories in half-hour session. I wonder how accurate this is. (Multiple bikes produce similar results.) That would translate to well over 600 calories per hour, which is a lot if the chart on the wall that compares the calorie consumption rate of various activities can be believed. It "feel like" I work harder than that in most pool workouts, but a calorie consumption rate >600/hour doesn't sound believable. Of course I do take set breaks during a 80-90 minute swim workout so I'm not running at that rate 100% of the time, but in a 90 minute workout at least some days I would be running hot for 75-80 minutes. Of course it has been months since I have been able to do this on account of life getting in the way... grrrrrr.
Children
No Data