Does your swim coach....

Former Member
Former Member
...swim at all for themself? Obviously a question for those who have coaches. Odd question maybe, but I’m genuinely curious.
  • My local YMCA has three different coaches that coach Masters and two additional coaches who teach a once a year triathlon swim class. Of the five, all but one swim regularly. One of them actually doesn't coach much since he is swimming the workout with us. I don't know all the age group coaches since many of them are working at times that the pool is closed to adults. Two of them swim with masters though.
  • I swim every day - 4500-5500 yards. Except for when I coached college, I was swimming as much as the kids I was coaching (and much of the time faster as well). None of my coaches were swimmers. Best coach I know was a wrestler. He could relate to the swimmers like no other coach I have known. He was an even better diving coach. So, being a swimmer does not necessarily mean the coach will know what they are doing. Many coaches simply coach the way they were coached. :( PW
  • Arrieros - Yeah, off topic, so what... Contrary to all the stuff you read about eating & drinking before and after practices, I don't follow any of that. The only time I used a water bottle was during my first 10K swim. After that, if I needed water, I just drink what I am swimming in. Learned that from a good open water swimmer in Minnesota, Roger Bosveld. Faster. Have never had a bottle in practice either. I am generally never thirsty after practice and don't drink anything before practice either. if I do, I have to pee too often. As for food, nothing more than a small bowl of granola w/ milk - maybe 500 calories all told in energy content. I might have a cup of yogurt a couple of hours before I swim. No one is gonna like me saying this, but most masters athletes are not burning anywhere near the calories they think they are. Most are probably burning 200-250 calories per hour max. To burn the kind of calories the olympians report, you have to be running your heart rate in the 165-180 range for the better part of 2 hours in each practice where they are covering 16-20,000 yards/day. I know I will get push back from individuals who are pushing that hard - my comment is NOT about what you are doing. NOR am I slamming the rest of us who are swimming easier. I am just saying that swimming with your heart rate in the 100-120 range is not going to burn alot of calories. For the heck of it, you might want to estimate how many calories you consume after a practice to see if it is balanced against how much you burned. Let the outcry begin! PW
  • ...if I needed water, I just drink what I am swimming in. Sometime I do too. But not on purpose. How's that workout in salt water? Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I swim every day - 4500-5500 yards. Except for when I coached college, I was swimming as much as the kids I was coaching (and much of the time faster as well). None of my coaches were swimmers. Best coach I know was a wrestler. He could relate to the swimmers like no other coach I have known. He was an even better diving coach. So, being a swimmer does not necessarily mean the coach will know what they are doing. Many coaches simply coach the way they were coached. :( PW 4400 yards everyday?? Wow what do you eat after a workout like that... anything over 2500 yards and my appetite is out of control. I actually gain weight when I swim that much. oh I just realized this might be off topic for the post
  • My masters coach joins us in the water when it's not too crowded. But he skips a few sets, to make sure he is available when the fast lanes are done or to give individual comments.
  • Our team has 5 coaches - 4 who swim regularly and 1 who didn't swim that much as a kid and doesn't swim now. He coaches for the USAS team and is one of the best coaches out there. He has really creative and outside the box thinking. I regularly swim his practices and incorporate his ideas into my workouts when I coach. I love swimming other coaches' practices to keep my own coaching fresh with different ideas.
  • The Masters coaches at my pool all swim for themselves. But seperately...not during the Masters' workout. On of them is the holder of several age-group world records. I've always believed that the best coaches were 'average' athletes. But in fact...a good coach doesn't necessarily need to have played the game he/she is coaching. Roger Bannister's coach, Franz Stampfl, was not a runner. He threw the javelin, and was a skier. Bill Belichick played football only briefly in h.s. But, lacrosse was his favorite sport. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Well, that's interesting... seems that the majority of coaches still seem to enjoy swimming themselves, and that being a good coach doesn't necessarily require having much of a swim background. I've been considering it for a while. No competitive experience here, do not swim all that fast myself, and I was like, 'if this is what coaching is, then I can coach this class'. When I really thought about it though, yikes! For various reasons, most significantly that I like to swim for myself and there's nothing like turning a hobby into a job, and I don't want to work another job. I'd rather volunteer, but I don't think volunteers are allowed at my facility because of insurance purposes. Anyways it's good to hear that coaching doesn't drain all the joy out of being in the water yourself.
  • Dan, I have a trouble swimming long distances in salt water - my throat gets very raw. So, although I am not trying to sip the water, I obviously do ingest more than I should. So, to amend my post, drinking the water only applies to fresh water. :)