Swimming Heart Rate Monitoring

Does anyone use any good devices to monitor heart rate while swimming? If so, please share what you use and why you like it? Thanks!
  • Does anyone use any good devices to monitor heart rate while swimming? If so, please share what you use and why you like it? Thanks! I meant to add to this: Having some health issues that make it sort of important to monitor my heart rate while swimming. Garmin has the chest strap idea, but it slips and slides and is not continuous/real time. I would also like open water capable GPS.
  • I think the Fitbit Ionic and Samsung Fit2 Pro are the most likely. I am trying to check out the Samsung, but the ones on display at the local Best Buy are broken, and have been for 2 months. The people there don't konw exactly what they'll do. The Ionic is brand new (and has a price that reflects it!), so I haven't found out much about it.
  • What do you mean by realtime? Garmin will give you a live heartrate, just has to be within of a few inches of the strap. And the HR-swim does not slip. the HR-Tri is designed for under a rashguard or westuit. But you are going to look at your watch while swimming?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I think the Fitbit Ionic and Samsung Fit2 Pro are the most likely. I am trying to check out the Samsung, but the ones on display at the local Best Buy are broken, and have been for 2 months. The people there don't konw exactly what they'll do. The Ionic is brand new (and has a price that reflects it!), so I haven't found out much about it. I had the Fitbit Ionic for a couple weeks but ultimately returned it. I guess it was maybe like owning a German car, when it works you love it, when it doesn't work you hate it. Anyways the swimming tracker was sort of accurate. It doesn't track heart rate that well when swimming though; I don't think it makes that claim. You have to stop at the wall and let it catch your heart rate. My Polar chest strap monitor heart rate sensor is much more accurate, but my swimsuit keeps it secured to my chest. I would say the Ionic is better than nothing, though i ended up returning the 2nd one after replacing the first one when it suddenly died after a week. Take a look at this thread: forums.usms.org/showthread.php
  • I swim while wearing an Apple Watch II. I'm sure it isn't 100% accurate, but when I've compared at the doctor's office, it is within 2 beats, which is close enough for me. While swimming, it just requires activating the screen to view. Either turn it toward you and/or tap at it. Sometimes you'll need to press the wheel. There are several ways to look at the data afterwards. You can use the fitness app, health app, or install one of many different apps available.
  • You could always do it the old fashioned way by stopping on the wall for a bit and checking your pulse (10 seconds times 6). My last coach had us do this regularly.