Steering vs Forcing? for DD

Former Member
Former Member
How do you know the difference if you are “Steering” your child to swim vs “Forcing” them to Swim? Daughter has been swimming since 3 and is now 9 (almost 10). She’s had some great moments like winning a Summer League All Star butterfly race when she was 8. But after that, we gave her the choice to do winter league and she didn’t want to (previously she said she had). She still had pretty good summer (before getting sick) and was still on B team for the relays, but it wasn’t the same at age 8. At the end of this summer, she admitted that she should have done some of the swim clinics before the start of the season. But, now she goes back and forth. One time we will be swimming at the pool, and she asks if I think she’ll be in Lane 3 (fast lane). Then recently she said that she didn’t want to be competitive and only “liked” swimming. In Jan – Feb 2018, I do have her signed up for some swim clinics. So 1x a week for 6 weeks. But, should we do more swimming after? A part of me thinks she needs some private lessons as her technique has eroded due to not being in classes/team. But, should I do that if it doesn’t matter to her?!? I mean she can swim. I've seen her flip-flop about wanting to swim and not quite sure if she gets the effort. For example, she set a new PB in Fly this summer and was disappointed she didn’t get a ribbon – she was against 10 year olds that were fast. Well, geez, should have done the stroke clinics before the season like I said. I don’t think she’s fully grasped that the “separation is in the preparation” (to quote Russell Wilson). I’m trying not to be a crazy parent. I want her to get the health benefit from swimming. She loves ballet and performing – I see her on the stage. But, she is going to need the exercise from swimming to keep in shape. I feel like it was easier when she was younger and we would just take her to class 1x a week to learn to swim. Any Advice? I’ve thought about asking her if she has goals for next summer. At times, I think we just sign her up for some lessons/stroke clinic (from March – May) where she should just swim 1 – 2 times per week (would that be “forcing”). Or do I wait and see how she responds to the Stroke Clinics, that I signed her up for in Jan- Feb? Thoughts? DanceDaddy #tryingnottobecrazy
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Have you asked her if there are other sports she might like to try? My niece went through several sports, including swimming, before finding one that she really enjoys. You shouldn't have to force fun on a kid, IMHO. She started talking about Gymnastics when she was 8 (when all these great swim things were happening), so she went to a camp at a Gymnastics academy and didn't like it. Then we had her take a class 1x a week which was like pulling teeth. Thank fully the semester is done and she's done with Gymnastics. We've tried some "ball" sports and she hasn't liked them. She did do an afterschool Yoga class that she liked. She loves her ballet and dancing. Just need to get her some aerobic activity and yes, swimming is something she's good at.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Have you asked her if there are other sports she might like to try? My niece went through several sports, including swimming, before finding one that she really enjoys. You shouldn't have to force fun on a kid, IMHO. She started talking about Gymnastics when she was 8 (when all these great swim things were happening), so she went to a camp at a Gymnastics academy and didn't like it. Then we had her take a class 1x a week which was like pulling teeth. Thank fully the semester is done and she's done with Gymnastics. We've tried some "ball" sports and she hasn't liked them. She did do an afterschool Yoga class that she liked. She loves her ballet and dancing. Just need to get her some aerobic activity and yes, swimming is something she's good at.
Children
No Data