Water Temperature

Greetings, I am a regular distance swimmer, 3 - 6 miles a week. At my current YMCA pool they keep the water temperature at 82 - 83. That is fine. It takes 30 - 45 seconds to adjust after jumping into the water. Swimming, no problem, 2700 yards yesterday. However, we are in the process of relocating to another part of our metropolitan area, Columbus, OH. I checked out the pool in the new area the other day-- the water is Cold. I swam a thousand yards, and was cold the whole time. I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I was told by their aquatics director that they keep the temp at 80 degrees for competitive swimming. Well, it is cold. I am also a 69 year old Heart Patient. I may be more susceptible to cold since my heart attack and bypass surgery 19 months ago. Not sure. I am wondering if others give much thought to water temperature or if they ever have problems with it being too cold. Thanks Skip Cornett Columbus, OH
Parents
  • I too am 69, but not for much longer. I have an artificial aortic valve, which keeps me on a blood thinner drug. You would think that might make me more cold sensitive, but I don't seem to be. What I am is naturally very well insulated. All the pools I swim in are 80-82 and very comfortable whether I'm doing 50yds fast or continuous 2500yd. I used to swim at a local college pool (not part of the school team) 30+ years ago and it was always cooler than that. I'd guess it was between 75-80. I never had a problem with that either. The outdoor town pool, the only 50m pool I have nearby, is quite cold at the beginning of the season, below 70, and yeah, I have a problem with that until I get a lap or two done. From June-Aug I also swim a mile or two with a Tri club each week at a lake which is in the 60s early on, and 75 at best in mid-summer. Most triathletes use wet suits, but not I. Again, I only have difficulty jumping in to start but once under way, no problem. One fitness center where I swim regularly had an annual cleaning last month and refilled with 50 degree water (normal city water temps in October). I went over there two days after reopening, don't know the temperature but the lifeguard on duty said no one had stayed in past 10 minutes that day. I lasted an hour. I actually have no idea what 83-84 would feel like for either speed or distance.
  • I too am 69, but not for much longer. I have an artificial aortic valve, which keeps me on a blood thinner drug. You would think that might make me more cold sensitive, but I don't seem to be. What I am is naturally very well insulated. All the pools I swim in are 80-82 and very comfortable whether I'm doing 50yds fast or continuous 2500yd. I used to swim at a local college pool (not part of the school team) 30+ years ago and it was always cooler than that. I'd guess it was between 75-80. I never had a problem with that either. The outdoor town pool, the only 50m pool I have nearby, is quite cold at the beginning of the season, below 70, and yeah, I have a problem with that until I get a lap or two done. From June-Aug I also swim a mile or two with a Tri club each week at a lake which is in the 60s early on, and 75 at best in mid-summer. Most triathletes use wet suits, but not I. Again, I only have difficulty jumping in to start but once under way, no problem. One fitness center where I swim regularly had an annual cleaning last month and refilled with 50 degree water (normal city water temps in October). I went over there two days after reopening, don't know the temperature but the lifeguard on duty said no one had stayed in past 10 minutes that day. I lasted an hour. I actually have no idea what 83-84 would feel like for either speed or distance.
Children
No Data